PDA

View Full Version : Sharp tools

Bill O'Conner
07-03-2006, 8:38 PM
boy does it make a differance what a sharp tool will do to a square piece of stock. last hour or so been turning large square pieces in to small round ones. tothing to brag about just seeing what the differant tools will do will be trying to make some thing in the next week or so

Bill

Dale Thompson
07-03-2006, 8:57 PM
Bill,
What did you use to get the "sharp" tools? :)

Dale T.

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2006, 9:01 PM
Bill you are right. Sharp tools make turning a pleasure. Can't wait to see some turnings.

Mike Vickery
07-03-2006, 10:21 PM
I know what you mean. A couple years ago I had a friend that starting turning and had not sharpened his tool ever and he had been turning for about 3 months. I had him bring me his gouge to sharpen. He was at woodcraft the next day to buy a sharpening setup. The only thing worse than dull tools is learning on dull tools!

Bill O'Conner
07-04-2006, 9:21 AM
[QUOTE]Bill,
What did you use to get the "sharp" tools? :)

Dale T.[\QUOTE]

Earlier this weekend I picked up the Grinder and jiog at Woodcraft didn't get it set up till yesturday afternoon but it sure made a differance in what I was turning looks like I could hit it with a light sanding and be done

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Congrqats Bill!!!!!! Sharp tools means a relaxing and enjoyable time at the lathe. Happy Turning.!!!!!

Bill O'Conner
07-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Congrqats Bill!!!!!! Sharp tools means a relaxing and enjoyable time at the lathe. Happy Turning.!!!!!

Now I just need to figure out how to get my 15 year old to let me help him learn the right way to hold the tools. He tried last night but I tried to show him a couple of times and wouldn't you believe he stromed off in a huff got to love that age

Any help on this one would really help:) :confused: :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
"Sharp is as sharp does"...many turners have the tool at the grinder every few minutes. That doesn't mean they are removing a lot of metal, just bringing the edge back so it cuts cleanly and well.

Charlie Plesums
07-05-2006, 10:01 AM
Now I just need to figure out how to get my 15 year old to let me help him learn the right way to hold the tools. He tried last night but I tried to show him a couple of times and wouldn't you believe he stromed off in a huff got to love that age

Any help on this one would really help:) :confused: :rolleyes:
As the saying goes, you can't teach your own kid to drive. I suggest Bill Grumbine's video on bowl turning - Bill is a very good teacher.

And speaking of driving (which I assume you will face in the next couple years), we told our son that he had to drive 1000 miles before he could go for his driving test. He kept a log book - thought he was a great driver at 50 miles, but we didn't share that opinion. At one point we found him saying "oops...wrong lane for that turn...I'll just go around the block to recover. It sounded like good driving until we realized that he couldn't make a left turn. At about 800 miles he was getting reasonable, so my wife took him on a road trip to complete the 1000 mile rule. When he protested how unfair this was, we pointed out that pilots have to log a minimum of 40 hours (over 3000 miles) before they can take their test.