PDA

View Full Version : gelled poly

Wally Wenzel
07-03-2006, 7:21 PM
Hi Guys, I have seen gel poly mentioned a few times here and was wondering what brands these are and where they may be purchsed. I also was wondering how they work and are they easier to use than some of the other finishes? Thanks Wally

Jim Ketron
07-03-2006, 7:40 PM
It just don't get any easier Wally!
I like the Rocklers brand the best, not as thick as some of the others and I think it goes a little further.

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 8:02 PM
Jim is that what you are using on your vases like the one Keith won in the drawing?

Corey

Jim Ketron
07-03-2006, 8:05 PM
Jim is that what you are using on your vases like the one Keith won in the drawing?

Corey
Yes Sir!
I have been using it on almost all my work in the last year.

Dave Smith
07-03-2006, 8:09 PM
Jim is right on the Rockler brand gel polyurethane. I sand to 320 or 600 depending on the wood then rub in the gel poly and wipe it off before it starts to dry. Wait 4 to 8 hours sand with 600 and apply an other coat. Usually that is all it takes for a smooth, tough finish.

Dave Smith

Too many yard projects in Longview, WA.

Dave Wimmer
07-04-2006, 7:05 AM
I've used Bartley's gel poly for a long time with excellant results.

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2006, 10:22 AM
Gel Poly is a no brainer if you want an easy poly finish on your turnings. I use it and like it....but there are some turnings that just scream for a nice oil finish. :rolleyes: :D

Mark Cothren
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I also use the Rockler brand gel poly on nearly all my turnings now. Thanks to Joe Tonich for my supply (and Dennis', too)!!!!

Jim, Travis, Joe and Dick convinced me to try it and it only took one time using it to fall in love with the stuff. Dennis also had to be convinced/persuaded that it was some good stuff...:D

I used it not long ago on a Walnut bowl on top of Danish oil that had cured for about a week. It really worked good then, too.