PDA

View Full Version : Lidded Box... Number 2

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 6:23 PM
I had the day off today so I thought I would chuck something up and spin another one. This one is much bigger. About 4 3/4 inches tall and 2 3/4 inches wide at the base. It is spalted beech with lacquer finish. This one probably took me way longer than it should of as I was in the shop working on this for about 5 hours. What the heck, didn't have anything better to do! Thanks for looking as always.

Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SBeechBox2.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SBeechBox3.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SBeechBox1.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/SBeechBox4.jpg

Bob Noles
07-03-2006, 7:35 PM
Corey,

Very nice job and how could you have spent 5 hours any better or have more fun? I think you have proved yourself worthy :)

btw..... nice photography also!

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 7:43 PM
Thanks Bob! I appreciate it. After I have looked at it a bit I am not real happy with the shape. It's too tall I think. Would have looked better about an inch and a half shorter on the top and instead of splaying out at the top I think a regular capsule top might have looked better. Anyway... I am learning. There will definitely be more... I like these and it is a nice break from pens!
Corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 8:41 PM
Corey, I'd say the tome was well spent. Very nice job.

Ernie

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2006, 8:58 PM
Corey you are on the way my friend. Splendid job. Corey remember the old saying. A bad day in the shop is better than a good day at work. :D You did just fine. It is awesome for your second box.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-03-2006, 9:07 PM
Nice job, Corey!

Bruce

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Excellent Corey! Right now........I think boxes are my favorite turn! I've made a few bowls but I'm starting to make dumb mistakes! I need to review and review and review and review.....Bill G's and Raffan's videos!

Chris DiCiaccio
07-03-2006, 9:20 PM
That is a great looking box.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-03-2006, 9:27 PM
Great job, Corey. Don't worry about it having taken 5 hours---that's the fun part! :)

Barry Stratton
07-03-2006, 9:31 PM
Well done Corey. You are sooooooo far ahead of me now! Hey, you should try a bowl or two............

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 9:36 PM
Thanks guys! I finished it up at about 2:00 with the finish and all and then dusted the shop all up and cleaned it and organized my wood storage. I wish I had remembered to take a photo of the inside of the box, the spalting is a rasberry color and wild.

Barry I haven't gotten the nerve up to go bowling yet :) I will send you a piece of that ash, then you will have to get off your ash and make a box :eek: . I also figured out the problem with my Grizzly chuck was me and the tennon I was turning... and bad tool presentation. Nice to have 2 chucks though, I used both of them today.

Corey

Frank Chaffee
07-04-2006, 12:11 AM
Corey,
I find the proportions and form of the box very appealing to my tastes.
Your lathe work is developing quite nicely, tho I must say that the high gloss finish puts me off a bit, as I prefer finishes on wood that accentuate depth of grain.

I also suggest that the parting line between lid and box would be better highlighted by a burn line like those above and below it.

Corey, you are doing Great, man, keep up the good work!

Frank

Did I just call a lidded cylindrical vessel a “box”??? What is coming over me, anyway?

Corey Hallagan
07-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Frank thanks for the kind words. While I like a somewhat glossy finish, lacquer is not my choice on these. I prefer a oil wipe on varnis but I am out right now. I don't like the smell of lacquer either. On the burn lines, that was exactly what I was going for and I burned the two in with the edge of my skew but did know what too do or how to do it on the actual lid line.

Thanks Frank,
Corey

Mark Cothren
07-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Nice work, Corey!

Tom Sherman
07-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Very nice Corey, I like it in all facets.

Dick Parr
07-04-2006, 7:59 PM
Very nice Corey, that's a sweet looking box.

Job well done!;)

Keith Burns
07-04-2006, 8:41 PM
Great box Corey. Great from fit and finish:) :)