PDA

View Full Version : Reading wins a top.

Terry Quiram
07-03-2006, 6:13 PM
Our local library has a summer reading program for children. Every time a book is read the child receives a prize. I have turned tops for them in the past and this is my donation today. I will probably turn some more as time permits. The librarian says they go fast.

Terry

Mark Cothren
07-03-2006, 7:00 PM
Very nice, Terry! Good job motivating the kids to read!

Ron Jones near Indy
07-03-2006, 7:12 PM
Thanks for contributing to a great cause Terry. I'll bet most libraries would welcome prizes such as these.:cool:

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 7:21 PM
That is great thing to do Terry! Great job!

corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 8:38 PM
Very cool Terry.

ernie

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-03-2006, 9:09 PM
Good job and good cause, Terry.

Bruce

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2006, 9:10 PM
That is a great cause and a great job Terry.

Glenn Hodges
07-04-2006, 4:01 AM
You are to be congratulated on motivating children to read books. America needs children that can read English, and our libraries are doing a great job. Terry you have proved to us we can help without spending a lot of money.

Vaughn McMillan
07-04-2006, 6:05 AM
Very cool idea for a great cause, Terry. I'm going to have to try turning some tops just for grins. Any tricks or traps to know about?

- Vaughn

Terry Quiram
07-04-2006, 9:00 AM
Vaughn

The real key is to take your time. I spend approx 20 minutes on each. I turn, sand and finish the top before turning the stem. I turn the stem in short increments putting any detail on as I go. Turn the stem without a lot of pressure on the tool so it doesn't deflect then the top will spin true. Don't make a long point, keep the mass low. I turn all my tops with a long pointy swept back HF 10mm spindle gouge. Don't make a huge (massive) top for finger spinning. Big heavy tops are very hard to finger spin. If you want a large top for finger spinning make it a large diameter with a thin cross section. I sand the top up to 600 then use EEE followed by Shell-a-cream. This may seem anal but this process really pops the grain and makes the top fairly shimmer in the light. Locust makes an awesome top and under a black light they glow.

If thats more info than you wanted thats what you get for asking an engineer a question.:D :D :D

Terry

Dennis Peacock
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Terry,

That's way too cool!!!! Very nice and great motivator for the kids!!!!!

Jim Ketron
07-04-2006, 10:37 AM
Great Idea Terry!
Looks like a lot of fun in that batch.

Mark Rios
07-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Very, very cool Terry. I like the community volunteer spirit.

Tom Sherman
07-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Good idea Terry this might work in our local library as well, I may have to give it a try myself.

Gary DeWitt
07-04-2006, 4:01 PM
Great contribution, Terry. I'm going to ask our turning club if they want to do a similar project for a local library.
I noticed in the LA Times last week, book review, that two new "graphic novels" (read comic books) have been published, adaptations of Raymond Chandler and Phillip K. Dicks works. A real shame, both of them were/are excellent writers. Made me wonder if anyone out there is able to read after high school.
Good to see someone doing something about it!
Have a happy 4th.

Vaughn McMillan
07-05-2006, 2:48 AM
Thanks for the details, Terry. (And rest assured, it wasn't too much. I was raised around and have worked with engineers most of my life. ;) ) I was turning some fresh-cut yard trim branches this afternoon (playing with my new lathe), and I made a simple top for LOML. It wasn't nearly as nice as yours, but it gave me a feel for how they're done. I'll have to try some with dry wood. Thanks again.

- Vaughn