PDA

View Full Version : Smoke! Smoke! Smoke!

Jeff Horton
07-03-2006, 5:57 PM
Making some zero clearance inserts yesterday for Lazarus (Unisaw I just restored). Had the blade off fitting in the throat plate with some maple. Got everything like I wanted so I mounted the blade and proceeded to cut the slot by raising the blade into the insert. Noticed some smoke and didn't think to much about it. By the time I got the saw to pierce through the maple I noticed a lot of smoke. Thoughts of a fried motor ran through my head but the smell was wrong. Shut her down and started looking for the problem......

:o

Blade really cuts better when you don't put it on backwards.

Bruce Shiverdecker
07-03-2006, 6:06 PM
YUP!:D

Bruce;)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2006, 6:07 PM
Been there....Done that......Don't want the tee-shirt!

Dave Mapes
07-03-2006, 6:11 PM
Been there done that!

Nothing like to blade mounted backwards to make ya feel a idiot! :D :D

Jim Becker
07-03-2006, 7:05 PM
LOL!! And I was almost thinking that it was new motor time... ;) ...but I did make that same mistake on a bandsaw a few years ago!

Bruce Page
07-03-2006, 7:18 PM
I toasted an almost new 3/4" 4-flute endmill when I flipped the switch the wrong way. :o

Ron Jones near Indy
07-03-2006, 7:21 PM
I understand totally. Dad always said the only person who never makes a mistake is the one who never does anything.

Dick Bringhurst
07-03-2006, 7:24 PM
That point is probably "burned" into your memory now. I know it is in mine. Dick B.

scott spencer
07-03-2006, 7:31 PM
:D :D :D I haven't quite graduated to that level yet, but with due diligence, my time will come! ;)

Dale Thompson
07-03-2006, 8:48 PM
Hey Jeff,
Sounds like some folks are raggin' on ya here! :( The fact is, ANYONE can make a good cut with the blade mounted according to recognized practices. :)

It takes a real PRO to make cuts with the blade mounted like you and I do!! We are just ahead of our time and it is doubtful that the rest of these "rookies" will EVER catch up with us! :D ;) :)

Dale T.

Jeff Horton
07-03-2006, 9:22 PM
It takes a real PRO to make cuts with the blade mounted like you and I do!! We are just ahead of our time and it is doubtful that the rest of these "rookies" will EVER catch up with us! :D ;) :)

Dale T.

Hey I got the slot cut...well burn all the way through too! Bet no else can say that! ;)

And it's amazing at how much smoke can be stored inside a cabinet saw before it finds it way out into the shop.

John Miliunas
07-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Well, at least you got 'er done, right? :rolleyes: Reminds of years ago when I used to install flooring for a living. We were doing a big job at one of the universities. Direct glue-down carpet in a bunch of offices and practice rooms (Music Dept.). We had hired a kid to help and got him setup with the Milwaukee hammer drill, some 1/8" masonry bits and a bunch of "metals" to hammer down in the doorways. He came over to where we were working about an hour into it. He asked if we had some more bits. My lead guy said, "Wow! You must be 'bout done with all the doorways then." The kid said he was still on his first one but, "...That concrete is some real tough stuff. I burned through all six of the bits already!" :eek: Huh???? :eek: :confused: Yeah, you guessed it: Had the drill in "reverse" the whole time!!! Had him cleaning up, hauling material in and garbage out for the rest of the job! :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Sam Chambers
07-03-2006, 10:51 PM
Don't feel bad, Jeff. I did the same thing with my circular saw a couple of years ago!

Mike Sheppard
07-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Blades cut alum. siding great that way.
Mike

David Mueller
07-04-2006, 12:19 AM
that's why my sig line is my life's ambition. :eek:

Norman Hitt
07-04-2006, 2:29 AM
Hey Jeff, just think about it this way, You currently may be the only "Creeker" with a ZCI that has carborized edges in the Slot, now that's a Unique Finish in there, Bro.:D .....Shhhhhhhhhhh...........everyone else will want one too.:D

David Rose
07-04-2006, 4:11 AM
A few years ago, we sent our daughter on a mission trip to Mexico. Their project was to build a small church with steel siding on steel studs. She had never had any interest in "the shop", so had never run a power drill. Of course, that was the job of almost everyone. Starting about daylight, she drilled in self tapping screws until lunch time. At that time, they looked at what had been done and noticed that she had put in a lot of screws that were "loose". She commented that they did not seem to tighten up as they approached the siding. Someone discovered that she had installed hundreds of screws with the drill in reverse!

I told her that "you can't drive a screw in reverse". You know know-it-all dads... She asked me for a screw that "should" drive into hardwood, my drill and a piece of hard maple. She switched the drill into reverse and proceeded to neatly (well it angled a bit :rolleyes: ) half way into that hard board! Needless to say, that board with memories of her tale, is now sitting in the shop.

Yes, you can operate a lot of tools in reverse. (Dads can learn too.) You may get slower results. You may even get smoke. But it IS possible.:D

I would probably never learn to use a pull saw. :o

David

Vaughn McMillan
07-04-2006, 4:27 AM
Jeff, I saw your punchline coming from a mile away, only because I've seen that movie once before also. And for variety, I've done it on the bandsaw, too.

OK, show of hands...how many of us know how nicely a carbide TS blade cuts through extruded aluminum -- like a miter jig fence? :p

- Vaughn

Art Moore
07-04-2006, 5:45 AM
Jeff, I saw your punchline coming from a mile away, only because I've seen that movie once before also. And for variety, I've done it on the bandsaw, too.

OK, show of hands...how many of us know how nicely a carbide TS blade cuts through extruded aluminum -- like a miter jig fence? :p

- Vaughn

Yep... but if I could readjust that stick-on ruler think how accurate the measurements would be! :rolleyes: (Where's my hand smiley?)

Art

Jeff Horton
07-04-2006, 10:47 AM
I started not to admit to this but I am glad I did. Got a lot of laughs out of this one. :D

Tom Hamilton
07-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Wow, Jeff, a combo Unisaw/Smoker! Will you hange the brisket from a rack or cook it in a pan? This will set a new record for dual use tools and probably start a whole new line of thinking about how to use our stuff! Humm, cordless drill/margarita maker....

Don't know how the folks over on OWWM will react to a Unisaw/Smoker combo, but I will not be the one to tell them. :D With the conversion to the new format they will probalby miss it all together. You hope!

Thanks for sharing, makes some of my gaffs seem less serious.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, with a pocket full of shop mistake stories.

Ed Blough
07-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Jeff
Yesterday had to pull the pool pump to replace a leaking seal. Did the repairs and connected it all back up. Flipped the switch and the motor ran but no water was circulating. I immediately ran through my mental check list. Motor running pump not pumping. Motor wired so it now turns in reverse? No To repair the pump I only had to disconnected and reconnected the line and since it is AC swapping something there wouldn't make a difference. Did I inadvertantly flip an internal reversing switch? No none on the motor to the best of my knowledge. Perhaps it is hide? Possibly but unlikely. Pump rotor fell off? Not likely it screws on direction of rotation if anything it would get tighter. Installed the rotor on backwards? Not likely do to it screwing on. What else could be wrong. Nothing has to be rotor on backwards. Take it all apart and fix problem. About three quarters of the way through tearing it all back out it dawned on me.... I hadn't primed the pump after installing it. Put it all back together for the second time primed it and watched it run fine. I kicked myself many times for not thinking about priming sooner.

Alan DuBoff
07-04-2006, 2:33 PM
Darn you Jeff, you had me worried about your saw there for a minute!

Don't do that! (of course that's what you were probably thinking when you saw the smoke;-).

Good thing it was only something dumb like a blade on the wrong way...

You won't be the first and most certainly won't be the last on that escapade! :D