PDA

View Full Version : Doghouse

Tom Scott
09-17-2003, 3:40 AM
OK, so it's not fine woodworking...but it was a fun project for our beagles Jack and Jenny.
It is all cedar (made from cheap-o fense pickets). The top is hinged at the front to allow for cleaning and such.
The bottom pic shows Jenny. It would be way too much to ask to get them both in the same picture.

Tom

John Strait
09-17-2003, 7:54 AM
Tom,

That is quite a dog house! I may need one of them after LOML finds out what I just spent on clamps.

John

Don Farr
09-17-2003, 8:01 AM
I expected to see a picture of my shop. Dog house is what LOML calls my shop when I act up.
Seriously, I don't think I would call that a dog house. How about the presidential suite for man's best friend.

Glenn Clabo
09-17-2003, 8:04 AM
Very nice Tom. All it needs is AC and music...well maybe it would be too tempting for human occupancy.

Todd Burch
09-17-2003, 8:53 AM
Very nice - and an EXCELLENT use of old pickets! Hadn't thought of that one!

Todd.

Lee Schierer
09-17-2003, 10:09 AM
Do they actually use it? My dad built a really nice house for his beagle who was barely as smart as a box of rocks. Dumb dog wouldn't go in it even if it rained. Hope yours use that one, it sure lookd nice.

Tom Sweeney
09-17-2003, 10:13 AM
How cool is that! :cool: Nice job & I'll bet they'll appreciate that large overhang for keeping out of the sun in those long dog days of summer

Howard Rosenberg
09-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Very attractive. well-thought out. I like the shade area for the porch. Do your dogs actually use it? Does it get cold in your part of the country? Did you insulate it? Sorry for all the questions but I've wanted to build a dog house for ages. All the best. Howard

Sam Chambers
09-17-2003, 12:28 PM
Tom:

Looks great! Nice work.

I need to make sure my 2 dogs don't wake up and see this, or they'll figure out some way to add one to my project list. (Mine would be much larger, since I have big dogs.)

Tom Scott
09-17-2003, 1:26 PM
Thanks for the compliments.

Actually, they haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. We're in the process of fencing the yard, so they haven't had free reign yet. As it stands now they have NO interest in it. When they get out to romp around, the last thing they have in mind is going inside anything. So, we'll see.

The walls are insulated. It is actually built just like a small scale house. The studs are 2x2, with tar paper wrap to weather-proof, cedar siding milled (surface planed 1 side and rabbeted long edges) from fence pickets on exterior, and 1/4 plywood on interior to hold in insulation.
The windows are 1/4" clear poly/lexan/whatever that I got from the borg. Since I went to the trouble of insulating walls I was worried about cold air coming in through the windows come winter. So, the inside can be partitioned off with a removable wall and ceiling (below the window line). It will probably also get a flap door of some kind once it starts to get cold.

Tom

Clyde Hefner
09-17-2003, 1:36 PM
What! NO AIRCONDITIONING :D All kidding aside I never seen a better dog house. :cool:

Mike Sweat
09-18-2003, 12:50 PM
That is one lucky dog!