PDA

View Full Version : Ford/Wood ---gloat

Gary Max
07-03-2006, 5:51 PM
Besty (1970 Ford Camper special) and I went to the sawmill today to get some 2x6's to build a dozen swings. Yah I know but hey you have to build what sells and we have a big outdoor show coming up next month. Anyway the reason this post is here in the turners forum----look at that monster log I bought. It's a full 30 inch log and it is solid this will make several outstanding bowl blanks next year. Most cedar gets doughty
in the center when they get big so finding a monster this size in this condition is very rare for me. Besty only gets 10 Mpg but she still earns her keep. I really think it will not be long and real trucks will be a thing of the past.
Oh thats a Gallon jug of Anchor seal sitting on top--just to give you something for scale.

Jim Ketron
07-03-2006, 5:54 PM
Thats one big Cedar log!
should be some nice stuff in there!

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 6:05 PM
Congrats Gary! Nice haul!

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2006, 6:17 PM
Congrats Gary! Can't wait to see the outcomes!

Ron Jones near Indy
07-03-2006, 7:17 PM
Nice haul Gary. That log is certainly worthy of a gloat!:)

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 8:37 PM
Man that's big. Nice haul Gary.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-03-2006, 9:10 PM
Great gloat, Gary. That's a beaut of a log.

Christopher K. Hartley
07-04-2006, 6:15 AM
Now that's some serious cedar!:)

Vaughn McMillan
07-04-2006, 6:28 AM
Man, is your shop gonna smell like cedar! Nice haul, and looks like it'll be a project just getting it cut into something spinnable.

- Vaughn

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-04-2006, 7:08 AM
Nice..........how did you get it off the truck, anchor it and drive away? :D

Them old Fords and Chevys are great. A buddy in Canada still has his 67 Chevy, with the straight six, three in the tree tranny, great old truck, I think he paid $500 for it back in about 1980....:eek:

Cheers!

Gary Max
07-04-2006, 7:18 AM
Vaughn the shop always smells like cedar----I build a bunch of Cedar furniture so there is always several truck loads of wood siting around waiting on me to get busy.

Gary Max
07-04-2006, 7:26 AM
Stu the trick--- notice that I cut the log in half. That gets done on the truck.
Then you just get a long heavy steel bar and start sliding it off the truck. One inch at a time. It's slow and aint real fancy to watch but it works.
Betsy is running a 360 with a C6 tranny--she has a full ton rear-end with overloads. Even though that is a very heavy load and we don't go fast-- she can handel it. It's the hour drive home from the sawmill that takes forever.
Don't forget there is a truck load of 2x6's sitting in the bed also. I have taken a shot from the rear but it came out way to dark---if I can lighten the pic I will try and post it

Bernie Weishapl
07-04-2006, 9:45 AM
Nice haul Gary. Looks like old Betsy will get you from point A to point B.

07-04-2006, 10:25 AM
Stu the trick--- notice that I cut the log in half. That gets done on the truck.
Then you just get a long heavy steel bar and start sliding it off the truck. One inch at a time. It's slow and aint real fancy to watch but it works.
Betsy is running a 360 with a C6 tranny--she has a full ton rear-end with overloads. Even though that is a very heavy load and we don't go fast-- she can handel it. It's the hour drive home from the sawmill that takes forever.
Don't forget there is a truck load of 2x6's sitting in the bed also. I have taken a shot from the rear but it came out way to dark---if I can lighten the pic I will try and post it

I agree Gary, that ole truck is a keeper!

Cheers!

Mark Cothren
07-04-2006, 11:06 AM
What a load of wood!!! Nice score!

Tom Sherman
07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Great wood Gary, looks like that will keep you busy for a little. Old Ford trucks are hard to beat no matter what you do to them they seem to keep on truckin.

Andy Hoyt
07-04-2006, 12:54 PM
--- notice that I cut the log in half. That gets done on the truck......

Awww mannn. Would have made a great hollow form if left intact!:eek:

07-04-2006, 3:15 PM
Awww mannn. Would have made a great hollow form if left intact!:eek:

a Great BIG hollow form you mean :D

Gary Max
07-04-2006, 5:14 PM
Lets see I need a steady rest---need a longer bed---weight limit 500lbs for the
Spindle---that may still be a problem with only half a log.

John Miliunas
07-04-2006, 5:32 PM
Hmmmmm....30" log by about 8'.... Hey, that should make a whole mess of pens!!!! :D And bottle stoppers, and kids' tops, and bowls and plates and hollow forms and.... Whew! That's a whole bunch 'o turnin' you got there, Gary! :D Nice haul and a great trusty ol' hauler, too! :) :cool: