PDA

View Full Version : Which PC router

Vito De Francisco
07-03-2006, 1:13 PM
Hi WW
I am getting ready to purchase another router for use in my router table. I was looking at 3 different Porter Cable routers and was looking for some advise as to which one might be the best for me. I will not be doing any work where I will be useing large dia. bits as in panel raiseing. The three that I looked at are the following.
Mod. 9690 llr, 1 3/4 hp
Mod. 690 llr, 1 3/4 hp

Mod. 690 lrvsr 1 3/4 hp
I have never owned a Porter Cable but do know that they will serve one well. Looking for ease of operation while mounted under a table. Thanks for any advise.

JayStPeter
07-03-2006, 1:23 PM
For table use, bigger is better and variable speed is good. From your list, the vs version.

If it is exclusively for table use ... In that price range, I'd look at the Milwaukee "bodygrip" with above table adjustment capability. For a little more, the Hitachi M12V. Look at woodshopdemos.com for making it better in the table.

Jay

John Lucas
07-03-2006, 1:24 PM
While the PC690 is an old work horse, the 890 series is a vast improvement for hand and table use. It is slightly more HP, slow start, electronic speed control and shaft lock. You can use the fixed base or the plunge but for the RT, I think the fixed will serve well. The clasp lock is pretty easy to maneuver.
For other than PC, I dont think you can beat the bargain of the Hitachi M12V. Last week someone said it was selling for $159. cant beat that for 3.5 hp, variable speed, soft start, shaft lock. I have had opportunity to mount 4 or 5 of them and those are on the web page. I love using the RouterRaizer with it...a super RT system

Mark Pruitt
07-03-2006, 1:47 PM
Since you've ruled out panel raising, I guess the 7518 is not a candidate, though that has been the router under my table for a long time. I would still recommend two things--horsepower and variable speed. Whatever router meets those criteria the best is the one I would go with.

Kirk (KC) Constable
07-03-2006, 2:03 PM
I have had very bad luck with PC routers over the years, including switch issues with both of my two year old 7518s. I do have a smaller PC (not sure which model) that I use for dovetails that's been fine. I only bought the smaller PC because I needed it immediately and couldn't find a smaller Dewalt locally on the shelf.

I've had very good service from the DeWalt 621, and a Bosch VS non-plunge...and no switch/power cord related issues with either of them.

KC

Jim Becker
07-03-2006, 2:04 PM
When you have the choice, pick the variable speed option. Even when you are not swinging large cutters, it can often make a difference with certain woods and bits.

Bob Childress
07-03-2006, 2:25 PM
Well, everyone always has their own favorite and I'm no exception. I did a lot of research before buying the PC 89x and putting in the table. For my needs it works great, is easy to remove and easy to adjust. I use the fixed base. It stays in the table all the time. But I think the Hitachi is probably a good router as well and the DeWalts seem to have many fans. I'm just a PC person I guess.:)

(No, not Politically Correct!!):rolleyes:

Gary Curtis
07-03-2006, 3:11 PM
I bought a router fence and plate for installation on my table saw extension table. To save money, they suggested the PC 890. Bit height can be adjusted from 'above the table' by means of a small wrench. The fence maker is WoodHaven. They are pretty knowledgeable about routers.

The 890 is in that mid-hp range, so if you can live with less than 3hp, you'll save the cost of a router lift.

Gary Curtis
Tr:D

Hoa Dinh
07-03-2006, 3:24 PM
If I were buying a router for the table right now, I would get the Milwaukee 5625-20 from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007FPJK/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-7607375-5435315?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=228013).

With discount, for less than $240, I'd also get a finishing sander (don't need one, but can off load it easier on FleaBay).

Mike Henderson
07-03-2006, 4:13 PM
I bought the PC 890 and put it in my table. Bought it mainly because you get the advantage of a router lift without having to buy a router lift (I needed to keep the cost down) and I could use it as a hand held router. Variable speed so you can use it with big bits, like panel raising bits.

I've been very happy with the 890. I've even used it for raising panels - just have to take smaller cuts compared to what you can do with a bigger router.

If this is going to be your only router, the 890 is a good choice. If you already have a hand held router, look at some of the bigger routers. I think some of them now come with the "router lift" feature built in.

But I have nothing bad to say about the 890 - great router, highly recommended.

Mike

Allen Bookout
07-03-2006, 4:41 PM
I was just looking to get some new good quality router bits and this came to mind. The real cost of routing is the cost of the bits, not so much the cost of the router. The bits are going to wear out but the router is going to last you for a long time. So with this in mind I say that it is good economics to buy one of the good 3+ hp routers for your table. You will have a lot of power so they will last longer and just plain work better in the long run.

I have the Milwaukee 5625 and really like it. Others have the PC7518 and really like it. Others have the big Hitachi and really like it. Everyone seems to really like their routers so it appears as though that you cannot go wrong with any major brand.

So I say, for a table, skip a few of the bits for a while if you need to and put that money into a larger router than you are thinking about. They are really not that much more, especially if you shop around a bit. I personally think that you will be happy that you did when things are all said and done.

Good luck in your quest!

Allen

Jerry Olexa
07-03-2006, 5:09 PM
In general, more HP is better, variable speed and soft start are desirable. The PC 690 which I have has none of thoise featrures. For a few $ more, you can upgrade to a far more powerful and versatile machine for your table IMHO

Vito De Francisco
07-03-2006, 5:40 PM
Hi, all good ideas. This router will stay in the table. I do have the Dewalt 618 PK which I don't want to tie up, and an old Sears Comm. 1 hp that is in the table at this time. I just got off of a PC sight and I did not see a mod. 890 as suggested. I saw a mod.892 & a 891. When I went into the search mode, it came up empty handed. Am I missing something here? The above table adj. will be a great plus as is the soft start which I do like on my Dewalt. Found some recond. PC that were very affordable but will not disregard other brands. All comebacks were very helpful and some things which I did not even consider will help me choose which I hope will the right one for my use. There is something behind the saying that bigger is better. But it looks like it has to be VS and above the table adj. Thank you all for your help.

Brad Townsend
07-03-2006, 6:23 PM
Hi, all good ideas. This router will stay in the table. I do have the Dewalt 618 PK which I don't want to tie up, and an old Sears Comm. 1 hp that is in the table at this time. I just got off of a PC sight and I did not see a mod. 890 as suggested. I saw a mod.892 & a 891. When I went into the search mode, it came up empty handed. Am I missing something here? The above table adj. will be a great plus as is the soft start which I do like on my Dewalt. Found some recond. PC that were very affordable but will not disregard other brands. All comebacks were very helpful and some things which I did not even consider will help me choose which I hope will the right one for my use. There is something behind the saying that bigger is better. But it looks like it has to be VS and above the table adj. Thank you all for your help. The "890" designation is just a generic for referring to any of the various PACKAGES featuring the 890 motor. Wheter it's 891,893,895, etc., it's still an 890. The only difference is what comes with it in the package.