PDA

View Full Version : Too Darn THin.........

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-03-2006, 10:36 AM
.....no no, not me :D

Some of you will recall the problems I had with the "Wave" (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38536&highlight=Wave) bowl, well I figured out what the problem was.

I turned the bottom of the bowls way too thin while green......

I was working on another bowl, Red Keyaki again, and I could not get a nice smooth cut to save my hide!

I did everything I could think of, twice, then finally while just standing there, with the lathe turned off, I just gave it a whack with my 1\2" bowl gouge.

Well, it broke off the tenon and shattered too!

This is what is left of one half, I even glued this back together so you can have a better look.

I was working on getting the bottom thinner than the edges, but I went way too far! The bottom area is less than 3/8"...:eek:

This wood is also extreemly hard and brittle.

I then chucked up a dry piece of the Sakura I have, and boy that was like turning butter, so nice!

So a warning out there to all you newbies like me, make the bottom thinner than the edges, but not too thin!

Cheers!

Jeff Horton
07-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Isn't it nice to know what you did wrong? I always feel better because stuff like that drives me crazy wondering.

Now FWIW (about what you paid for it). I start on the rim and thin it towards the inside. Leaving the inside till last. Never thought about it before now, but it leaves it stronger and less likely to chatter. I also use a set of caliper to check my thickness as I go. Helps me to know where I am. Not sure why I do it that way, I just always have?

Probably because I couldn't use the calipers form the inside out! That makes sense.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-03-2006, 2:03 PM
Isn't it nice to know what you did wrong? I always feel better because stuff like that drives me crazy wondering.

Now FWIW (about what you paid for it). I start on the rim and thin it towards the inside. Leaving the inside till last. Never thought about it before now, but it leaves it stronger and less likely to chatter. I also use a set of caliper to check my thickness as I go. Helps me to know where I am. Not sure why I do it that way, I just always have?

Probably because I couldn't use the calipers form the inside out! That makes sense.

If you are talking about green turning, then I start from the middle, on the dry stuff from the rim.

The problem was that I made it too thin, WAY too thin on the green turing phase :o

Glenn Hodges
07-03-2006, 3:00 PM
Hands on education is the best kind, you don't forget the learning experience, eh Stu?

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 7:42 PM
Never thought about that before Stu, but I can see where that would make it a bit... chattery(new word).:D Of course I might have thought about it if I actually ever made a mistake. :p :rolleyes: :D

Ernie