PDA

View Full Version : So how do I like my DVR 3000....?

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-03-2006, 8:45 AM
Well, as I'm getting a little more time in on the DVR 3000 lathe, and I really like it.

Getting used to it has been fun, it sure is a nice machine.

There are a few things I don't like, but I think that would be with any piece of equipment as we all approach things in our own way.

The one thing that I really don't like that is really trivial is the stupid noises the lathe makes when it turns on, turns off, starts, stops, it plays a little tune. I guess it is better than some "Buzz" or such, but still, a mute button or function would be nice.

The next thing is just part of the whole deal. When you use the outboard turning function, you have to swing the headstock, this is done by pulling on the lever on the front to release the stop indent, and by loosening the Headstock Locking pin......

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/dvr_headstock_locking_pin.JPG

This all works fairly well, when locked n place it is ROCK solid, the one complaint I have is that when I got back to 0 degrees, lined up with the tailstock, it is not right on the money, I have to take the chuck off, and then put the spur center in, slide the tailstock up to the spur drive and nudge it. For the kind of money you pay for these tools, I expected the swivel to line up every time. I equate it to a poorly designed fence on a TS, that you have to check the back and front of the blade to each time you move it.

Rant over.

Except for that, I've got no real gripes at all.

Here is how I have the DVR set up right now....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/turning_station_overview.jpg

Not a bad place to spend some spinny time...

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/turning_station_overview_left.jpg
Here is where I have the accessories set up within easy reach on the left of the lathe. I found that dropping stuff on your foot was not a good thing, so a rack works well to keep it all in place, as once the chips start flying, well stuff goes missing.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/turning_station_acc_stand.jpg
A close up, nothing fancy, but it works.

When I was doing all this to start with, I needed some way of keeping the DC hose up over my head, but out of the way, as well as a place to mount a light or two, the pipe above the lathe has worked out really well for this.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/turning_station_top_bottom.jpg

When I'm sanding or doing finishing cut on dry wood, let the flex hose for the cyclone hang down, it works so well, I have to remember NOT to put stuff on the headstock of the lathe, or it gets sucked up into the cyclone :o

I also move my MIG welder off of the cart I built for it. Usually it sits on the block of concrete in the corner there by the compressor, but as I'm doing the beer racks, I needed a longer reach, so I have it on a stool near the workbench. I used the cart to make a sharpening stations for my lathe.

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/sharpening_station1.jpg

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/sharpening_station2.jpg

I'm using the Delta grinder I got from a buddy for my Buffer, and the old cheapo grinder for sharpening, as I'd already made the jigs etc for the cheapo unit.

It all works rather well together, and the wooden copy of a "Vari Jig" works just fine.

Lastly I finally turned the handle for my Evil Skew.....

http://www.ablett.jp/workshop/images/lathe/dvr_home/handle_for_skew.jpg

If I make another handle, it will be thicker, this one is kind of thin, but on the skew, I don't think it will ever get stressed to much.

Well that is it for now, I got to get back to work, and then I hope to sneak away to the Dungeon to finish up on the welding.

Cheers!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-03-2006, 9:06 AM
Nice Stu! Looks like you are well settled into that lathe. I have got to ask, What do you use the PAM for? I know there must be a practical application there somewhere. And no, I'm not joking I really do want to know. Maybe it is something that I could benefit from as well.

Dick Parr
07-03-2006, 9:16 AM
Great post Stu, the more you use it the more you will like it. I have really gotten to love mine and it does everything I want it to.

My main peeve with it was the little handles, but I just turned some bigger ones and glued them on. Now I have something to grip and it don't hurt the palms of my hands.

If you can come across a double M/T #2, that will make the realigning of the headstock a snap.

Enjoy a great lathe and have fun with it.

07-03-2006, 9:18 AM
Nice Stu! Looks like you are well settled into that lathe. I have got to ask, What do you use the PAM for? I know there must be a practical application there somewhere. And no, I'm not joking I really do want to know. Maybe it is something that I could benefit from as well.

Hi Christopher.

I mainly use it on my bandsaw, Big Blue, that 2 1/2" wide blade runs a lot smoother, with a couple of shots of PAM on it, but I was using it on the old C-Man lathe, as it had a dead center for the tail stock, less mess than oil.

It is really funny, back when I was turning on the C-man lathe one night, I was standing there turning a spindle of some sort, and suddenly the thought "PANCAKES" popped into my mind......:confused:

What the heck, it bugged me enough that I stopped what I was doing and thought "Why in the heck did "PANCAKES" suddenly pop into my head........?" what's going on now......

Then it dawned on me, the PAM was heating up on that dead center enough that it was cooking off, just like on a frying pan, and the smell reminded me of my Mom using it for pancakes on the electric grill.

The PAM works as a good lube, but I would worry about it going rancid over the long term.

Cheers!

07-03-2006, 9:22 AM
Great post Stu, the more you use it the more you will like it. I have really gotten to love mine and it does everything I want it to.

My main peeve with it was the little handles, but I just turned some bigger ones and glued them on. Now I have something to grip and it don't hurt the palms of my hands.

If you can come across a double M/T #2, that will make the realigning of the headstock a snap.

Enjoy a great lathe and have fun with it.

Thanks Dick

That double MT#2 is on my list, the next time I make an order from say Woodcraft.

I'm sure the guy here sells it, but I wonder what he wants for it...?

Cheers!

Jim Becker
07-03-2006, 10:05 AM
The only thing that has ever bothered me about the DVR is the size of the controls...a bit small for my liking and I prefer to have a "mobile" on/off setup for safety and convenience. But otherwise, it's a very capable machine built around some very kewel motor technology. I think you're going to really like it!

Bill Grumbine
07-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Hi Stu

I've turned on a DVR a few times, so I know what you mean about the stuff you like and the things they could have done differently. By way of encouragement, I have owned three pivot head lathes, with the Poolewood being the latest and the current model in use. I have turned on lots more. I have yet to see a pivot head lathe that indexes right at dead on zero when the head is moved back over the ways. Poolewood "solved" the problem by not putting any detents into the pivoting mechanism. So like you, when I rotate the head back around, I have to remove whatever is there and retrue it. But with the absence of a detent, at least I am not grumbling about it being off a little bit! :cool: I've also noticed that if I am doing some heavy cutting - and I mean real heavy cutting - I can move the head out of alignment as well.

Bill

07-03-2006, 2:01 PM
Thanks Bill, it makes me feel somewhat better that the DVR has the same problem as your might Poolewood :D :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 3:44 PM
Real nice set up Stu, looks like you got more than everything you need!

Corey

Christopher K. Hartley
07-03-2006, 4:01 PM
Hi Christopher.

I mainly use it on my bandsaw, Big Blue, that 2 1/2" wide blade runs a lot smoother, with a couple of shots of PAM on it, but I was using it on the old C-Man lathe, as it had a dead center for the tail stock, less mess than oil.

It is really funny, back when I was turning on the C-man lathe one night, I was standing there turning a spindle of some sort, and suddenly the thought "PANCAKES" popped into my mind......:confused:

What the heck, it bugged me enough that I stopped what I was doing and thought "Why in the heck did "PANCAKES" suddenly pop into my head........?" what's going on now......

Then it dawned on me, the PAM was heating up on that dead center enough that it was cooking off, just like on a frying pan, and the smell reminded me of my Mom using it for pancakes on the electric grill.

The PAM works as a good lube, but I would worry about it going rancid over the long term.

Cheers!Great idea. Thanks Stu:)

Bruce Page
07-03-2006, 4:50 PM
Stu, with the head correctly lined up, take a fine point Sharpie and draw one or two fine lines across the mating joint. The next time you move the head, just bring it back using the lines like you would an old style vernier. I use this method for realigning the head on my milling machine. You will be surprised at how accurately it will repeat.

Vaughn McMillan
07-03-2006, 5:09 PM
Stu, are those pencil-line wall outlets only available in Japan, or do you suppose I could get some for my shop here in the US? Must be handy...just draw an outlet wherever you need one. :p

- Vaughn

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 8:08 PM
Stu, are those pencil-line wall outlets only available in Japan, or do you suppose I could get some for my shop here in the US? Must be handy...just draw an outlet wherever you need one. :p

- Vaughn

Vaughn, don't you see the arrows? Those are just directions to where the outlets actually are.:rolleyes:

Nice work on the setup Stu.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-03-2006, 8:13 PM
Great looking shop, Stu.

Oh, and don't fear the skew! I've used it for V-cuts, bead forming, face truing, cylinder planing, and rotary peeling---and I have very little overall turning experience. I actually find it easier to use and control than a spindle gouge in some situations. As long as the tool is presented correctly and controlled firmly, you should have no problems with it.

Barry Stratton
07-04-2006, 2:54 AM
That DVR sure looks sweet in the dungeon!!!! Great set-up Stu!

07-04-2006, 3:07 AM
Stu, with the head correctly lined up, take a fine point Sharpie and draw one or two fine lines across the mating joint. The next time you move the head, just bring it back using the lines like you would an old style vernier. I use this method for realigning the head on my milling machine. You will be surprised at how accurately it will repeat.

Great idea Bruce, I'll give it a try.

07-04-2006, 3:09 AM

- Vaughn

Sorry Vaughn, I was thinking I could mail you a couple, but they would be 100V 50 Hz, so they would be of no use to you............. :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-04-2006, 6:03 AM
Sorry Vaughn, I was thinking I could mail you a couple, but they would be 100V 50 Hz, so they would be of no use to you............. :D
Just fax 'em over to me. I've got me an electron converter built into my scanulator that'll let me select the voltage. (Hey...maybe I can get 220v into my shop after all.) :p

- Vaughn