PDA

View Full Version : Howdy and thanks!!

Wayne Bitting
07-03-2006, 7:44 AM
I’ve been lurking for almost a year reading and learning and now that my projects are moving along, I just wanted to say hi to everyone. My father passed down his ShopSmith to me back in August and while I don’t get to spend as much time as I would like in the workshop (pseudo workshop, haven’t gotten a chance to actually make it very functional), I’m trying to make that change this summer. I started only wanting to do bowls and while I really enjoy them (only done four so far), I had to look for quicker items to turn. I stumbled on to PSI and found that they are only about 15 minutes away –good for me, bad for my credit card…. Now I’ve started bottle toppers and as of last week I made the investment to do pens. I never thought that I would be much for pens, but I have really enjoyed making them and I hope in a couple of weeks to get involved with Freedom Pens.
<o =""></o>
Thanks to everyone for all of their advise over the past year!!!!

Steve Ash
07-03-2006, 7:48 AM
....lurking for a year??? Good god man how did you fight the pull of the vortex for so long?

Good to have you here Wayne, looking forward to your posts and remember to always post pics of your projects.

Mark Cothren
07-03-2006, 8:29 AM
Welcome Wayne! Look forward to seeing some of your work posted and getting to know you better.

Dick Parr
07-03-2006, 8:38 AM
Welcome to the Creek Wayne!

Christopher K. Hartley
07-03-2006, 8:55 AM
Welcome to the Vortex Wayne! Want to have some real fun? Find a tree, cut a chunck, chuck it up, and turn that first Bowl, Box or platter. Looking forward to seeing some of your stuff. What kind of Lathe and equipment do you have. We're nosey, let us know everything.:D Again Great to have you aboard!:)

George Conklin
07-03-2006, 9:11 AM
I stumbled on to PSI and found that they are only about 15 minutes away –good for me, bad for my credit card.

Welcome to the Creek, Wayne.

It could be worse. I live about 15 minutes away from Woodcraft:eek: :eek: Ouch

edited to add; I mean that in a good way. I love my Woodcraft store;)

Jim Becker
07-03-2006, 9:17 AM
Wayne, welcome to SMC! You happen to live in a wonderful area for woodturning...there are so many "movers and shakers" in the area. Please be sure to join Bucks Woodturners (http://www.bucksturners.com/), your local AAW (http://www.woodturner.org) chapter. Meetings are on the third Monday of each month (except July and August...summer break) and take place in the wonderful shop at Bucks County Community College in Newtown. It's a great way to meet folks, find mentors, see incredible work and demonstrations and share your own experiences.

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2006, 9:22 AM
Welcome to the Creek Wayne! Wade right in the water's fine! It's just as well you jumped into the Vortex...........the inmates here will shove in if you don't!

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-03-2006, 9:31 AM
Welcome Wayne, psuedo shop or not, we like pictures! :D

Cheers!

Glenn Hodges
07-03-2006, 2:57 PM
Welcome Wayne one of the great things about turning you can zero in on one item or try them all.

Tom Sherman
07-03-2006, 3:02 PM
Welcom to the Creek Wayne, folks here as I'm sure you've noticed are great. Good knowledge and help in almost any form you can think of.

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 3:36 PM
Welcome to SMC Wayne! Can't wait to see what you create on that Shopsmith!

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 7:52 PM
Welcome to the Creek Wayne. Got a way to post some of your work. We like pictures as you probably already know.

Ernie

Wayne Bitting
07-03-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all of the well wishes and greetings! I have learned quite a lot since I first started reading so many months ago. I was hoping to post some pics tonight, but it has just gotten too late (wife was busy chatting with all of her friends). Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some pics up for everyone to see and make comments on. Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Bernie Weishapl
07-03-2006, 11:18 PM
Welcome to Creek Wayne. Can't wait to see some of your projects. Lots of good folks here and plenty of knowledge.

Barry Stratton
07-04-2006, 2:13 AM
You'll love it here Wayne, welcome! Careful of that Hoyt guy though.......:D