PDA

View Full Version : How to color fill engraving on shell

Harry Radaza
07-03-2006, 5:41 AM
hi all,

recently had an inquiry (large volume) for engraving logo's on Mother of Pearl shells attached to keyrings. I was shown a sample (most likely from another laser engraver ) with color fill. I'm wondering if anyone here knows how this is done?

Dave Fifield
07-04-2006, 2:37 AM
Stick a masking layer of laser paper over the MOP before you engrave it, then fill and before the paint/filler dries completely, remove the masking paper. Voila!

Dave F.

Harry Radaza
07-04-2006, 8:51 PM
unfortunately being in the philippines, we don't have laser paper readily available. And ordering it would incur us ridiculous rates for shipping. What would be alternatives laser paper ?

Dave Jones
07-04-2006, 9:42 PM
I believe what he's talking about is what is known as tack paper or medium tack masking paper. It should be available at any signmaking supply company. It usually comes in rolls of thin white paper with adhesive on one side.

It is used by vinyl signmakers to hold the letters together that are cut on a vinyl sign plotter/cutter.

Harry Radaza
07-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Dave - thanks for the advice. I tried searching around in my area and apparently there are none available. It seems they don't know what it is ? Does it go by another name ? What other options do I have that I can use that would be similar to tack paper ?

I also need to color fill other materials not just shell. Acrylics and wood too. Keep in mind we don't have rub n buff or similar laser products here in the philippines. What kind of paint filler should I use ? acrylic paint or what ? and is tack paper still the best way to go ?

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2006, 12:50 PM
It's called transfer tape. There must be sign supply places in the nearest big city where the sign shops buy it. Or, you might get a sign shop to let you have roll ends.

Mike Mackenzie
07-11-2006, 1:55 PM
You can also try a hardware store and get the Blue tape they use for painting I believe it is 3M the only problem with that is it only comes in one inch rolls.

Bob Tate
07-11-2006, 2:50 PM
Mike, I always wished for the Blue tape in a wider size. I was at Lowes last night on the way home from work. They had the 3M stuff in 2 and 3 inch. I was kind of amazed, I got a 3 inch roll.

Some people think I am laser engraving in River Rock, actually I just engrave away the blue tape and then paint (color fill). These rocks have turned out to be fairly popular with landscape people. They advertise their business with them.

Joe Pelonio
07-11-2006, 8:06 PM
The green comes in 3", there's a grey that comes 12". They have a good assortment of 3m at Uline

http://www.uline.com

Ray Mighells
07-11-2006, 9:14 PM
Anybody tried giving the MOP a shot of lacquer prior to engraving, then color filling with acrylic. The color should wipe right off the lacquer.