PDA

View Full Version : Cutting a spline

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 5:55 PM
I just found that I have a Freud Box Cutter Set. Brand new, never used. I found it this morning in a chair under one of my backpacks and camera cases. I bought it at a super, super good price at Amazon a few months ago and completely forgot that I had it. :D :o

Can I use this to cut a spline groove? Any problems that I may not be seeing? If I find that the second blade slips down on the arbor (like my dado does), can I just use one blade?

It's the only blade (set) that I have that will cut a real square groove. My other blades are Freuds and a couple Irwins (for framing material). I do have a WWII but I've cleaned it up to sell (I find that I don't care too much for it) and I don't really want to use it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your advice.

Allen Bookout
07-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Can I use this to cut a spline groove? Any problems that I may not be seeing? If I find that the second blade slips down on the arbor (like my dado does), can I just use one blade?

Mark,

I have been waiting for someone that knows more about this that I do but have given up. I am not sure what you are talking about the second blade slipping down. Is your arbor worn or what?

I do not have the Freud box joint blades but have a Freud SD608 dado set and the arbor holes in the blades are very accurate and I cannot see any of them moving even a smidgen. I do not know if you can run just one blade and get a flat bottom or not but if you arbor is ok I do not think that you will have to even address that possibility.

Allen

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the reply Allen. A number of table saws (this issue has been discussed in the forum before) have a depression, next to the shoulder that a single blade rests on, between the shoulder and the threads. In other words, on the arbor shaft you have (from the inside out) arbor flange, shoulder that blade rests on, a depression and then the threads start. The second blade in a dado stack drops into the depression during set-up and when you run a piece of wood through you get your dado but with an extra, deeper groove at the second blade positioin.

Apparently, even some high-end saws have had this issue. Some maqnufacturers have replaced the arbors (some are too short for a full stack as well) but some have not.

Hope this was clear.

Allen Bookout
07-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the information. Yes it is clear. I seemed to have missed this whole issue about some of the saws. Guess that I lucked out on my selection.

Sorry that I was of no help!

Allen

Steve Roxberg
07-02-2006, 11:13 PM
Mark,

I don't own the Freud blad so base my answer on that fact, but.

My understanding is that by using the blade with alternating faces either on the inside or outside, and that in either arrangement you get a flat bottomed groove, I would think that a single blade would have to give you a perfect flat groove.

I would, however; guess that the groove will be an odd size, possibly half way between .25 and .2375 inches.

I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

If you alread own the blade why not give it a shot and let us know?