PDA

View Full Version : Jr's new home...pics

Steve Ash
07-02-2006, 5:49 PM
Some of you know that we have been building a house for my son Steve Jr. We started last October breaking ground and Jr. has done a bunch of the work himself earning "sweat equity" I put some pics in different threads about the building of the cabinets in his kitchen but neve put any finished ones up until now.

We framed this house in under 2 weeks, and the roofing, siding and soffits went together rather quickly too, but then Jr. got called to work making his time available to finish in short supply. Of course I stepped in when I could but I also had other contracts to fulfill with customers, nevertheless it is now ready for final inspections and I thought I'd share his new home with you.

(Disclaimer: Jr. was responsible for all colors used in this new build :D )

First picture shows the kitchen cabinets I built to his specs out of Ash grown and harvested in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where Jr. was born.
Second picture is 90 degrees around from the kitchen and shows his living room.
Third picture is his hardwood flooring which was a mix of different hardwoods and used in the kitchen, living room, hallways, guest bedrooms, laundry room and foyer.
The fourth picture is his office/guest bedroom done in camo and a hunting theme.....

more to follow.....

Steve Ash
07-02-2006, 5:55 PM
these next two pictures are his living room/kitchen vaulted ceiling areas with a special area made for his pheasant and perch mount...deer hopefully soon. :)

The next picture is another of his kitchen with the backsplashes and toe kicks in place.

The last one shows what is next....Landscaping.

Although I am happy this is the next step in his life, I also feel sorry that he is moving out of our home....won't be the same without him and we have a large home which will feel empty since my other son will be moving in with Steve and help him out with rent...so I say goodbye to both my sons at the same time.

Luckily they will be living just 5 miles down the road and I can visit them when I want to and not clean up after myself...:D

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2006, 6:18 PM
Steve, very nice work....AND its special because you guys built it together. Its a memory you'll share. They'll appreciate it even more as the years go by...and they are still close by...You should be proud.

As a housewarming gift, you could offer to be a chaperone when they have parties there:D :)

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2006, 6:21 PM
I knew that kitchen didn't reflect that there was a woman involved!!:eek: :eek: :D Steve, looks very nice. Congrats to you and your son on this accomplishment. Think of both sons moving out at the same time this way...you only have to get over the heartache once instead of twice. And it is good to know that they are that close. Jim.

John Miliunas
07-02-2006, 6:39 PM
Steve, like I told you before, I think you boys did a great job on that place! :) Sounds like their leaving will be a little bittersweet but, they will be close. Let's see...Five miles + one kick-ass Chevelle=roughly 3.25 minutes. Not bad! :D :cool:

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2006, 7:10 PM
Steve........it looks like you and your sons built a nice bachelors pad!

Don't worry too much. They like us have to grow up! We had to say goodbye to our youngest twice....once when he left for dental school following college graduation....hello when he dropped out of dental school due to a broken heart....goodbye when he went into the Navy. We had to say goodbye to our oldest son twice....once when he left for the Army ....after flunking out of college and Dad (me) telling him he had 6 weeks to go into the service or find a full time job. And hello when he finally many years later moved back to this area ......and goodbye when he moved in with his wife. We had to say goodbye to our daughter twice...once when she got married....hello when 13 years later she got divorced and goodbye again when she moved to Portland for employment. I won't mention ...yes I will....we had 2 14 year old granddaughters live with us for a school year as our oldest son and daughter were going through transitions in their lives and we thought the granddaughters needed some stability in their lives and not be changing schools 2 or 3 times in the same year.....

It'll take a while for you and the LOYL to get used to quiet....but it grows on you and then.......one day you'll realize that you can come home after a tough week......say......Let's go to Vegas for the weekend.....and there's absolutely nothing to stop you. My wife and I got married ....she had 2 kids from a previous marriage. 2 years later I adopted those two kids. We had a 3rd. We really didn't have time to get to know each other ...until the kids were gone. I found out things about her after 30 years of marriage that I didn't know. We enjoy quiet...and we enjoy the family .....we get together often.....the kids and grandkids love to come spend time with G&G as we are known. The grandkids until HS often came to spend a week or two with G&G every summer.

Don't despair....it's a natural stage for the kids and you.

Goodluck my friend!

Matt Meiser
07-02-2006, 9:04 PM
I knew that kitchen didn't reflect that there was a woman involved!!:eek: :eek: :D

I was thinking the same thing. You can also tell by the fact that the TV is set up, but not much else is done. :D

Very nice work Steve!

Jim Becker
07-02-2006, 9:16 PM
Nice looking property, Steve...and definitely a "man pad" from the pictures! :D

Tom Hamilton
07-02-2006, 9:23 PM
Congrats on a successful raising...house and sons. The adjustment to empty nest varies, but 32 seconds is about the national average. Enjoy!

Best regards, Tom in Houston enjoying visits and an empty nest

Steve Ash
07-03-2006, 7:33 AM
I knew that kitchen didn't reflect that there was a woman involved!!

Nope, definately no female influences in his house, even his own Mother wasn't able to give her .02 ...he knew exactly what he wanted and he is thrilled with the results.

Behind the home is a low area that he is going to make into a 1/2 acre pond stocked with bluegills, bass and catfish....13 acres with a good deer population....he loves his hunting and fishing, kinda like his dad...but Mrs. Ash wouldn't let me have camo in my office :D

Art Mulder
07-03-2006, 9:16 AM
Nope, definately no female influences in his house, ...but Mrs. Ash wouldn't let me have camo in my office

And Mrs. Jr Ash isn't going to let him either, so he might as well get it now while there isn't a Mrs... :rolleyes:

But Steve... what are those three jacks situated above the kitchen cabinets?

Steve Ash
07-03-2006, 9:44 AM
what are those three jacks situated above the kitchen cabinets?

I'm pretty sure those are for his surround sound. He has those in every room as well as TV jacks in every room too, which kinda reminds me of Karl Laustrup's house.....a TV in every room.

John Miliunas
07-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I'm pretty sure those are for his surround sound. He has those in every room as well as TV jacks in every room too, which kinda reminds me of Karl Laustrup's house.....a TV in every room.

Hey, that reminds me: Did he run CAT5 or fiber for Networking, as well? Man, if I'm ever in the position to build, that's getting done on my place! :D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
07-03-2006, 6:10 PM
Steve, you and Jr. did a great job. I must say he seems to have a level head on his shoulders.

For a while it will seem empty, but trust me, you will come to enjoy the peace and quiet. Besides they're just down the road. My guess is they'll be showing up several nights a week just about supper time. :)

And just about the time you are enjoying and getting used to the peace and quiet, one of them will move home again.

Is Jr. going to build a separate dedicated shop??

Karl

lou sansone
07-03-2006, 8:24 PM
Looks to me that you can be quite proud of your boys and the job you have done in being a good father. I would give you an A+

best wishes for all of you

lou

George Morris
07-03-2006, 9:14 PM
Looks great! It is nice to be able to help your son with a project like this one. Not every father can say that. As far as the empty nest we have 3 grown sons and I think it was great when they started their own life, now when I visit I turn on all the lights in the house ,leave glasses on their furniture, leave the refrig open and for good measure use the bathroom and miss the porcelin god!
But really, good for you to help him , now your other son will start to look for land also?

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 9:26 PM
It's a beautiful house and what a lucky young man! Got a great dad too! Nice job.

Corey