1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 home grown chisels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/scissorsmortiser.jpg

harry strasil
07-02-2006, 6:07 PM
Sorry, I forgot I had posted this already

Bob Noles
07-02-2006, 7:14 PM
Harry,

You have no idea how much I envy your talents and toys. I only wish I could do a fraction of what you have shared.

harry strasil
07-02-2006, 7:55 PM
Bob, its not hard just put the most used tool in your shop to work (your brain), make some sketches and start making sawdust. If it needs drawn up, do it after you get it to work like you want to. Saves a lot of mistakes rather than trying to follow a detailed drawing.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-02-2006, 9:06 PM
Well, since I've admired your beloved shop-made mortiser in particular (in addition to some of your other hand-made tools), I'd love to know more about how it's constructed.

I'm not sure I'll ever get to making my own (my shop time being rather limited, alas), but I really don't like hand-chopping mortises. I usually make some drill holes and go from there.

harry strasil
07-02-2006, 9:12 PM
Deirdre, its made out of oak with PTO shaft and tubing for the slide and sucker rod machined for the chisels. I saw a big floor model on Underhill show when he was at Upper Canad Workshop and made myself a table model, I have a large cast iron factory foot mortiser too.