PDA

View Full Version : Planes for exotics

Dan Lautner
07-02-2006, 5:20 PM
My name is Dan and I have been lurking and learning for months here. I'm an architect with a good construction background.
I'm building a home for my family in the Los Angeles area. I will be building my cabinets with solid stock teak, cocobolo and ebony. I plane on using no hardware or fasteners of any kind. I will buy rough lumber and dimension it with a power j/p and a TS. I plan on also building furniture and cabinets in the future so I want to invest in quality tools.
What planes and scrapers would you recommend for smoothing the face of the boards and the edges after I dimension the lumber? I've been looking at the Veritas #4 1/2 smoothing or maybe a Veritas bevel up smoother. Also should I get a regular or low angle block plane for general use with these exotic woods? I will start learning the shapening process but that is a whole other topic. I want to start practicing technique so I'm ready to start my cabinets in about 4 months. Sorry for the long ramble and thanks for any advice.

Dan