PDA

View Full Version : where plastic laminate?

John Piwaron
07-02-2006, 4:27 PM
Where might one buy a sheet of plastic laminate material? Like the "formica" kind found on counter tops?

I looked around Home Depot today and didn't see any. OTOH, perhaps I didn't look in the right place.

Kent Fitzgerald
07-02-2006, 4:30 PM
HD should have it, usually near the prefab laminate countertops, or you can order through the kitchen dept.

Ken Garlock
07-02-2006, 4:40 PM
John, the last two times I bought laminate, I ordered it through HD on special order from Wilson Art. It takes 3 or more weeks to get it. You can find a set of samples in the kitchen cabinet section of HD.

Larry Norton
07-02-2006, 4:43 PM
John, I've bought it at Lowes.

Wes Bischel
07-02-2006, 4:57 PM
John,
I have picked it up at the borgs and ordered special sizes through my local lumber yard - came in a day or two.

Wes

Jesse Cloud
07-02-2006, 5:08 PM
Its strange, but about half the borgs in the Albuquerque area carry laminate and half don't, so if there is more than one borg in your area, you might phone around. BTW, the quality was very poor, most pieces have corners broken off. Also, the laminate sheet and some contact cement cost almost as much as HD sells a countertop for...

John Piwaron
07-02-2006, 5:14 PM
Thanks for the advise. I guess I didn't look hard enough.

BTW, this isn't for a countertop, it's for a router table. So if edges are chipped, it's not nice and reflects poorly on the seller, but isn't the end of the world for my intended use.

Don Selke
07-02-2006, 5:45 PM
Look in the Chicago Yellow pages, I am sure that there is a plastic laminate company like Wilson Art. Do not know how far you are from the windy city? Milwaukee may be another source for you. You may want to call them to make sure that what you want is in stock.
I lived in NW suburbs of Chicago for 40 years and that City has everything you may want.

skip coyne
07-02-2006, 6:06 PM
for a router table , I would look for a discarded plywood/mica countertop and cut it to size .

I always check out the curb for that sort of thing on trash days .

Jerry Olexa
07-02-2006, 6:13 PM
Hd has it. I just bought some for a pull out tray on the night table I just built. I had to ask as it was "hard" to find.

John Piwaron
07-02-2006, 6:54 PM
Hd has it. I just bought some for a pull out tray on the night table I just built. I had to ask as it was "hard" to find.

Yeah, it must be. I'm in Milwaukee and went to the closest one, that's be the new store on Holt Ave. I walked from one end of the store to the other, twice.

This wasn't a wasted trip by any means. I got some stuff to clean the plumbing of my whirlpool bath tub and some caulk. Plus I checked the current price of MDF and other wood in prep for gettin' out the trailer.

And that's the heart of the matter. It'd be great to make one trip and get all the stuff I need at one time.

I'll go back tomorrow and look again.

Russ Massery
07-02-2006, 9:16 PM
John, Your local Menard's should have also...............

Norman Hitt
07-02-2006, 9:32 PM
John, since it is for a RT top, and you may not want to buy a whole sheet, an alternative possibilityy is what I did. On one of the tops, TS extension Table IIRC, I went to a local Cabinet shop and asked if they had any remnants that would fit my size for top and bottom of the table top that they would sell. Sure enough, we went through his remnant bin and I found two nice pieces, and actually another piece for another project, and he only charged me $10 for all three pieces, (which was sure a lot better than the $80 for a whole sheet at the Big Box Store).:D

Russ Massery
07-02-2006, 9:35 PM
Matter of fact I found couple of pieces a Menard's for about the same price.They were damaged but big enough for my needs

Steve Clardy
07-03-2006, 11:29 AM
If you were closer, I have a lot of scraps.