PDA

View Full Version : Group buying of wood in Minn

Al Willits
07-02-2006, 4:18 PM
It's my understanding that buying wood by bulk (over a 100bf) usually means a cheaper price.
So I'm wondering if there isn't anyone else in Minn or western Wisconsin that might be interested in doing this??
ok..ok...eastern N and S Dakota too....:)
Open for types of wood, but thinking qs and reg rough sawn white oak, oak, cherry, maple (curly) and ???
I live in Mpls fwiw, but consider a 100 miles or so, close enough.

I'm looking for rough sawn lumber for the most part.
No hurry, just trying to get wood for upcoming projects.

Al who has new playthings and nothing to stick/though them....:D

Chris Cordina
07-03-2006, 8:18 PM
Im in apple valley MN but I go to RST MN to buy my wood. Been going to same place for 20years. Good quality and about 1/2 price of Borg. Your also correct at 100 bf he gives slight break in price, but I have found that 100 bf is fairly easy to go thru. If you want more info pm me with your phone # or email and I will give you his phone # and answear any questions I can.

Al Willits
07-19-2006, 2:35 PM
Ok, just got back from Sherer Bros lumber monday and am going though sticker shock...arggg

Chris and I have talked about getting together and maybe buying some wood, but there's got to be a few more people in the area looking for wood??? (quantity equals discounts I'm thinking)

Or, a local sawmill/lumberyard where you've gotten a excellent price with in maybe a hour or so of the Twin Cities?
Oak, Maple plain and curly, Cherry, or??
Seems wife likes white oak this week, like to hurry before she changes her mind....again.

I'm about ready to sell the first born, to be able to afford the price of wood here...

Al who just remembered he don't have a first born....:D

Tyler Howell
07-19-2006, 3:43 PM
I'm going to try to make a trip down to that place in Iowa with Dave some day. Probably fall to see what's going on.
That's not helping you now but we can work something out.
As I said many of my projects have been recycled lumber, scrap and out casts.

I've even used CDX for some of my first projects.:o

PS on the recycled stuff check for rocks, screws and nails before you run it through that new iron DAMHIKT.
I also brush down rough sawn stuff that may have rocks and sand.

Al Willits
07-19-2006, 3:54 PM
""""""""
I've even used CDX for some of my first projects.:o
"""""

Yes, yes, I caught the hint...hehe, I'll be using CDX for the garage cabinets...:D :D
For those who missed it, Mr. Howell has several times explained that $120 a sheet plywood is not a good idea for garage cabinets...:)

Fall is OK too, I'm figuring I'll be dead before I change hobbies again, or if I do change, the wife will kill me....so no hurry.
If I could find maybe some cheaper pine and white oak for now, I'd be happy.

Al

Tyler Howell
07-19-2006, 4:00 PM
Now that you are a member, Ask the question at the MN WW Guild.
I'll bet there are some real good sources around here that we haven't uncovered yet.
They have a forum on their web site too. ........But no M. O. Abysseration:D

Scott Loven
07-19-2006, 4:46 PM
These people are within 100 miles of you. Great people to deal with!
http://www.hartzellwoodstock.bigstep.com/generic87.html;$sessionid$RC5BVMQAAAF1JTZENUGZPQWP ERWRJPX0
Scott