PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

Jim King
07-02-2006, 2:03 PM
This little cat is about full grown and came in almost dead taken from the illegal animal trade.. A couple of days hooked up to IVīs and it is doing well. Sorry I forgot the name of this species. The fellow in the photo with the cat is a film maker for the program Animal Planet. We are working with them to increase the size of the animal rescue project here. It is a wonderful project when all turns out well but when you loose one it is like loosing a part of the family. We should have her ready to go back to the wild in a month.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-02-2006, 2:18 PM
Mee-yow!! :D

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 2:19 PM
That is tooooooo cool Jim. Is that cat perhaps a Margay?

For a wild animal it seems to be fairly docile towards the human animal.

WTG!!!

Jim King
07-02-2006, 2:58 PM
Mark: My wife just told me they called it a Conchilla. We do have an abundance of Margays here.

Mark Rios
07-03-2006, 7:16 PM
Mark: My wife just told me they called it a Conchilla. We do have an abundance of Margays here.

Aahhh, the smaller cousin. I thought that it was "Oncilla". Maybe there's a pronounciation thing happening.

I ran across this story today. I think that your cat there scared them into the crevasse. :rolleyes: :D

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/peru_missing_hikers

Jim King
07-03-2006, 8:40 PM
Mark:

You are probably right about the name. My job is wood, my wife is in the animal goodwill program. This little cat is somewhat sociable but has drawn his share of blood. The cats are the most difficult to control and one of the easiest to bring back to health. It is the sloths and anteaters that give her the most problems as the diet is very hard to prepare in captivity.

Mark Rios
07-03-2006, 11:32 PM
Jim, Have you heard about the climbers that died? From the article it sounds like it was quite a recovery process. Very sad, they were all young. However, being that young/inexperienced and having no guide was a recipe for disaster. Funny how when were young we think that we're invincible.