PDA

View Full Version : Music CD's

Peter Stahl
07-02-2006, 12:17 PM
I've made some Music CD's to play in my Truck or my Wife's SUV so I don't have to worry about scatching up the original. I've noticed that they don't play as well as in the vehicles as they do on our home CD player or even the PC's cd-rom. I use TDK disk's and record at a 4X speed. I've used several different programs, Nero, Esay CD Creator and Windows Media Player. Is there a special disk that I should be using? Mine are the TDK/ CD-R / 80 min. / 700 MB / up to 52X speed. The TDK's are the only ones I've tried so far, tips, tricks or comments are appreciated.

thanks, Pete

Ken Garlock
07-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Peter, I can't offer any help with your problem, but I was wondering which CD burning program you liked the best? :confused:

Jim Becker
07-02-2006, 12:57 PM
I have never had any problems with the copies I run in my vehicle. Like you, I try to preserve the originals...in my case, they are not replaceable since virtually all of them are Live at the World Cafe from WXPN in Philadelphia and limited editions. Not only would I not want to damage them, I wouldn't want them to get stolen, either. (I always make copies of things the girls like to play, too...they are "not too careful" with the media)

I usually copy my CDs with Sonic RecordNow! that came with my Dell computer. There are better products, I'm sure, but it works fine for what I do and that is purely to duplicate/backup existing media.

John Miliunas
07-02-2006, 1:58 PM
Peter, different players will indeed treat recordable CD media differently. Sometimes the players are "particular" about the fact that it's recorded media, others are finicky about the brand. Media is cheap so, why not pick up a few of a couple other brands and see if that don't do the trick? I've had decent luck with "Imation", "TDK" and even "Memorex". However, not all work with every player we have 100% of the time! :(

Then, and I have no way of knowing this for sure, but there might be something "built-in" to the original CD to screw things up on recordings.I just picked up the latest Godsmack and Hinder for my daughter yesterday, which she promptly burned for me to use in my shop. Both were done on Memorex, which has worked fine before. Neither play on my shop CD changer! :mad: However, both play just fine on the DVD unit in there! Go figure! :) :cool:

Randy Cox
07-02-2006, 2:07 PM
I am having the same problem. I found out part of the problem was when I copied the CD, the program was converting it to MP3 format. Most of the older car players and CD players will not play an MP3. Just a thought.

Randy

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2006, 3:09 PM
I can't help with the problem either, Peter, but thought it was a good time to add for you not to use paper stick on labels if you are using them in a cd changer. It might be ok on the single disc players that have the tray that come out, like on the computer and some home units, but if the machine grabs the cd and pulls it in like a cd changer or most single cd players in cars, don't put the paper type labels on them. Ford, and I'm sure others, doesn't warranty radio repairs if a cd is stuck and it has a paper label on it. The new inkjet printable cds should be ok. Or just use permanent markers. Jim.

Mark Pruitt
07-02-2006, 3:21 PM
The CD player in my truck is fussy about playing some CDs. I'll rotate it a quarter turn, stick it back in, and if it rejects it again I continue doing this until the CD player finally figures out that I'm not going away and decides to humor me and plays the CD.:rolleyes: Don't ask me why I rotate it before reinserting, it's just something I do. (Seems like maybe I read somewhere that that was an effective trick.)

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator and it works great.

Mark

Al Willits
07-02-2006, 4:02 PM
I use Clone CD for most my copies, I'd check to see if your converting to MP3, there's several bit rates you can record at in MP3 and the lower rates like 128 can sound noticibly poorer.
Also make sure your only recording and not multi tasking on your comp, many will not do this well.

All this doesn't help, try the Sound and vision forum, they are into that stuff.

Al

Michael Gibbons
07-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Peter, My owners manual in my Ford focus says "do not use recordable cd's in car player". It might have something to do with difference in the thickness of the CD's. Not sure, But it has acted up on occasion.

Curt Harms
07-03-2006, 1:37 AM
I've found apparent differences in CD-R's. Of the brands I've tried, HP caused me problems. Imation has worked OK. I've had the best luck with Staples store brand CD's. I have a few of the Staples CD's I use in a Ford CD player and no problems.

Curt

Ken Fitzgerald
07-03-2006, 2:40 AM
Peter..........clarify something for me please......Can you take a recorded cd and play it in a stereo cd player on your stereo system at home and it plays well and the same exact cd doesn't play as well in your car?.......Does it not function well or is it a matter of not sounding as good?

If it's a matter of not sounding as good it could be a couple of things....the amplifier...the speakers or the cd player. Cd players have a sample rate and some don't sample as many times as others and therefore will not sound quite as well..........

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:16 AM
Peter, I can't offer any help with your problem, but I was wondering which CD burning program you liked the best? :confused:

Ken, I ususally use the Easy CD Creator program the most.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:19 AM
I am having the same problem. I found out part of the problem was when I copied the CD, the program was converting it to MP3 format. Most of the older car players and CD players will not play an MP3. Just a thought.

Randy

Randy, Just doing a straight copy, no conversion involved. Most will play in the Vehicle CD player but after several tracks we get a error message. Maybe it's just the type of CD. Thanks.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:22 AM
I can't help with the problem either, Peter, but thought it was a good time to add for you not to use paper stick on labels if you are using them in a cd changer. It might be ok on the single disc players that have the tray that come out, like on the computer and some home units, but if the machine grabs the cd and pulls it in like a cd changer or most single cd players in cars, don't put the paper type labels on them. Ford, and I'm sure others, doesn't warranty radio repairs if a cd is stuck and it has a paper label on it. The new inkjet printable cds should be ok. Or just use permanent markers. Jim.

Thanks Jim, I've never used paper stickers before. Just a sharpie marker.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:26 AM
Peter, different players will indeed treat recordable CD media differently. Sometimes the players are "particular" about the fact that it's recorded media, others are finicky about the brand. Media is cheap so, why not pick up a few of a couple other brands and see if that don't do the trick? I've had decent luck with "Imation", "TDK" and even "Memorex". However, not all work with every player we have 100% of the time! :(

Then, and I have no way of knowing this for sure, but there might be something "built-in" to the original CD to screw things up on recordings.I just picked up the latest Godsmack and Hinder for my daughter yesterday, which she promptly burned for me to use in my shop. Both were done on Memorex, which has worked fine before. Neither play on my shop CD changer! :mad: However, both play just fine on the DVD unit in there! Go figure! :) :cool:

John, Thanks for the reply, Car stero's must be more particular with recorded media. All originals seem to do ok.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:29 AM
The CD player in my truck is fussy about playing some CDs. I'll rotate it a quarter turn, stick it back in, and if it rejects it again I continue doing this until the CD player finally figures out that I'm not going away and decides to humor me and plays the CD.:rolleyes: Don't ask me why I rotate it before reinserting, it's just something I do. (Seems like maybe I read somewhere that that was an effective trick.)

I use Roxio Easy CD Creator and it works great.

Mark

Mark, Thanks for the reply. These Vehicle players will play them but not all the way through. I know my trucks CD player doesn't like to play when it's real cold out.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:32 AM
Peter, My owners manual in my Ford focus says "do not use recordable cd's in car player". It might have something to do with difference in the thickness of the CD's. Not sure, But it has acted up on occasion.

Michael, Thanks for the reply. The one that has the most problems is the Ford Escape. A Mazda but I think it's a typical Ford stereo. I'll check her owners manual.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:35 AM
I've found apparent differences in CD-R's. Of the brands I've tried, HP caused me problems. Imation has worked OK. I've had the best luck with Staples store brand CD's. I have a few of the Staples CD's I use in a Ford CD player and no problems.

Curt

Curt, Thanks for the reply. Guess I'll have try a different brand and see if I get better results.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:38 AM
Peter..........clarify something for me please......Can you take a recorded cd and play it in a stereo cd player on your stereo system at home and it plays well and the same exact cd doesn't play as well in your car?.......Does it not function well or is it a matter of not sounding as good?

If it's a matter of not sounding as good it could be a couple of things....the amplifier...the speakers or the cd player. Cd players have a sample rate and some don't sample as many times as others and therefore will not sound quite as well..........

Ken, thanks for the reply. They play well at home but many will not play all the way through.

Peter Stahl
07-03-2006, 8:47 AM
Looking at all the replys, it looks like recorded media isn't as good as the original. I'm going to try some other brands and if I get one that does extremely well I report back. The other thing with my wifes Stereo in Her Ford Escape is it will go from playing a CD (A original or a copy doesn't matter) to a religous station on a AM band. It's done it with different CD's and She said if she hits the CD button it will go back to playing the CD. Maybe this CD player in her SUV is possessed? Thanks for all the replys but if you get any more ideas please post them.

Peter Stahl
07-10-2006, 8:54 AM
Looking at all the replys, it looks like recorded media isn't as good as the original. I'm going to try some other brands and if I get one that does extremely well I report back. The other thing with my wifes Stereo in Her Ford Escape is it will go from playing a CD (A original or a copy doesn't matter) to a religous station on a AM band. It's done it with different CD's and She said if she hits the CD button it will go back to playing the CD. Maybe this CD player in her SUV is possessed? Thanks for all the replys but if you get any more ideas please post them.

I think I found out why my Wife's SUV changed the radio station. Her stereo has what is called a RDS system in it and will switch to a strong station that is sending this signal. Below is from CrutchfieldAdvisor car stereo glossary. I have the option to turn RDS on or off. I have it off now and will turn it back on in a couple weeks and see if it happens again. It would only do this maybe once a week.

Radio Data System
RDS stands for Radio Data System. RDS tuners can automatically tune in stations according to the style of music (or talk) they broadcast. Some RDS tuners can even break in with traffic alerts or emergency broadcasts when you're listening to a CD. RDS enables your receiver to display text messages (usually call letters and format info) that many FM stations include on a subcarrier signal within their normal broadcast signal.