PDA

View Full Version : Curly Walnut Flat Top American Pen

Corey Hallagan
07-02-2006, 11:50 AM
Another Flat Top, this one worked flawlessly after taking all the precautions and I took Ken's advise and got the Berea cap guage. Curly Walnut and Chrome kit with a Enduro and TSW finish. Thanks for looking as always.

Corey

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/challagan/CurlyWalnutFlattop1.jpg

Barry Stratton
07-02-2006, 1:22 PM
Another beauty by the Pen-Meister! Great job Corey.

Hey, are you entering the Au Natural Challenge????

Ernie Nyvall
07-02-2006, 1:39 PM
What Barry said. You sure have nice finishes on your pens Corey. What is TSW?

Ernie

Corey Hallagan
07-02-2006, 1:41 PM
Another beauty by the Pen-Meister! Great job Corey.

Hey, are you entering the Au Natural Challenge????

Thanks Barry! AU Natural Challenge.... Nah, I don't do bowls myself Barry but sure like to look at them! But my next pen will be made out of Redheart :)

Corey

Corey Hallagan
07-02-2006, 1:55 PM
What Barry said. You sure have nice finishes on your pens Corey. What is TSW?

Ernie

Thanks Ernie! TSW = Trade Secret for Wood. It is a top wax coat that works better than any of the others I have used. Makes it slicker than anything and when and if it dulls.. just buff it with a clean soft cloth and it comes right back. 9.00 for a little jar and just takes a little dab. Formulated and manufacturered by another pen turner and sold at: Pens of Color.com and Arizona Silhouette. Hope this helps.

Corey

Bernie Weishapl
07-02-2006, 2:20 PM
Hey Corey. You back at it again. Boy do I like that walnut. You are definately the pen mister. Great job.

Tom Sherman
07-02-2006, 2:51 PM
Super looking pen Corey.

Chuck Beland
07-02-2006, 5:08 PM
I've never heard of the berea cap gauge? what is it?

Corey Hallagan
07-02-2006, 6:35 PM
Chuck, Berea makes several kits where the lenght of the cap is absolutely critical. 1/32nd too long and the kit wont work. The cap guage has a cut out in it on three sides that is the exact size for three of their kits that use tennons like this and need to be a certain size.

Corey

Chuck Beland
07-03-2006, 6:27 PM
Thanks Cory for the info. I just bought from Wood crafters 2 Euro pens & 2 click pens. I just have to get the correct info on turning th Euro's it has 4 different bushings.

Corey Hallagan
07-03-2006, 6:31 PM
No problem Chuck. You will need to do what I did and pull the nib, finial and center band out to figure out the placement on the mandrel. You must have a 7mm Euro? The Berea 8mm Euro has 5 bushings.. but you only use four and which one depends on how you cut the cap.

Corey

Ernie Nyvall
07-03-2006, 7:19 PM
Thanks Ernie! TSW = Trade Secret for Wood. It is a top wax coat that works better than any of the others I have used. Makes it slicker than anything and when and if it dulls.. just buff it with a clean soft cloth and it comes right back. 9.00 for a little jar and just takes a little dab. Formulated and manufacturered by another pen turner and sold at: Pens of Color.com and Arizona Silhouette. Hope this helps.

Corey

Thanks Corey. I'd never seen that stuff before.

Ernie

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
07-03-2006, 8:42 PM
Wow, Corey, that's just fabulous.

Keith Christopher
07-03-2006, 8:51 PM
Corey,

You're making some beauties ! keep it up !!!