PDA

View Full Version : Completed trailer overhaul

Matt Meiser
07-02-2006, 10:27 AM
A few weeks back I had asked about using composite lumber for trailer decking. It sounded like a bad idea so I ended up using regular pressure treated lumber.

We've had this trailer about 5 years after buying it used. It had a PT plywood deck that was getting pretty bad and 1x6 PT sides that were literally falling apart. The boards on the sides were spaced about 2" apart which made getting mulch a pain. I started by removed all the wood and went over the whole frame with a angle-grinder mounted wire brush. I then used Kleen-Strip Rust Converter on the entire frame and painted it with Rustoleum paint. The decking boards and sides are all 5/4x6 deck material. I found some nice ACQ-rated self-drilling screws for the decking at Tractor Supply which made the deck installation easy. I also added some inexpensive hub caps to dress it up a little. While I had it apart I replaced the wiring and put on all new reflectors.

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Very nice Matt. Nice, sharp, and clean looking.

Jim Becker
07-02-2006, 10:58 AM
Sharp looking trailer, Matt! Nice job...count me in as having "Trailer Envy"!!

Bart Leetch
07-02-2006, 11:27 AM
Great job Matt. Now all you need is a tent. Trailer + tent=tent-trailer.:)

Matt Meiser
07-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Great job Matt. Now all you need is a tent. Trailer + tent=tent-trailer.:)

Popup camper is sitting just to the right of this trailer. :D

Matt Meiser
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
Sharp looking trailer, Matt! Nice job...count me in as having "Trailer Envy"!!

I'm very happy with this trailer as I was with a car hauler I used to have from the same local trailer builder. He builds them strong and with a lot of nice features--for example my car hauler had drop down jacks in the back to stabilize the trailer when loading and unloading.

Frank Fusco
07-02-2006, 12:22 PM
Nice job. I built-up and restored an old trailer frame, literally drug out of a junk pile. I put a pressure treated floor in it also. But the floor didn't last and now needs replacing. After 30 years of hauling round bales of hay and leaving exposed to the elements. ;) :D

Bob Childress
07-02-2006, 12:55 PM
Oooooh, Matt--nice trailer!! I don't have a trailer. In fact, don't really need one. But now I want one anyway:D

Jim Becker
07-02-2006, 1:04 PM
A trailer is on "my list", Matt...since giving up the Tundra for the Highlander (a better family vehicle...), my intention has been all along to get something to tow behind. I pretty much have my eye on a 5' x 10' tilt-bed from Load-Rite, a local builder. I just can't decide which version...one is heavier...but may just go with the lighter one since neither has weight limits high enough for the Kubota with the bucket and hoe on it and it's unlikely I'll ever want/need to transport the tractor. (My dealer does on-site maintenance at no extra charge) The tow limit for the Highlander is 3500 lbs and a trailer and the fully decked out tractor would just about hit that limit. I also don't want to deal with brakes, etc., so I'll stay smaller...it's just for utility, like moving building/landscaping materials and shop purchases.

Of course, a new hot water heater and dryer further delays the purchase...and Dr. SWMBO's new position doesn't start until 1 August so we are a one-income family for a month. Oh, well!

Wes Bischel
07-02-2006, 2:06 PM
Matt, the trailer looks great! You'll get a lot more years out of it now! I too have trailer envy.:D

Wes

Bart Leetch
07-02-2006, 5:48 PM
Nice job. I built-up and restored an old trailer frame, literally drug out of a junk pile. I put a pressure treated floor in it also. But the floor didn't last and now needs replacing. After 30 years of hauling round bales of hay and leaving exposed to the elements. ;) :D

Sounds like it lasted pretty well to me.

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2006, 6:48 PM
Looks real good Matt....can I bring you my trailer and you fix it up for me? :rolleyes: :p :D

Dave Ray
07-02-2006, 8:35 PM
Really nice job Matt. This project demonstrates you take good care of all your tools.... a characteristic of all good craftsmen. I like the fact you didn't stop with just replacing the wood.... but did a complete make over. ;) ;)

Von Bickley
07-02-2006, 9:45 PM
Nice job Matt...:)

Matt Meiser
07-02-2006, 9:53 PM
Looks real good Matt....can I bring you my trailer and you fix it up for me? :rolleyes: :p :D

Sure, come up and teach me to to use my lathe and I'll help you rebuild your trailer. :D