PDA

View Full Version : DC Motor Woes

Andy Sowers
07-02-2006, 1:12 AM
Hi all, although I've been lurking SMC for awhile, this is my first post. Today I purchased a used Delta 50-850 DC for $20... why so cheap? Well the subject line gives the problem away, the motor isn't working. I just couldn't pass it up for only $20!!!

When you try to startup the motor it starts to spin, but then the internal circuit breaker trips after about a second. I disassembled the motor from the tool and checked the capacitors for shorts, but didn't find any... The bearings seem just fine as the shaft turns smoothly with no "crunchiness." Interestingly, when I removed the impeller the motor started up fine and ran smoothly. Any ideas on what to check next?

I looked on Delta's website and they want a whopping $300+ to replace the motor. For that amount of cash, I could get a brand new DC...

I assumed I could find a replacement motor cheaper somewhere online if it came to that, but another complication is that the label on the motor with the detailed specifications of the is missing. Thus I don't know exactly what specs to look for in a replacement. So could fellow Creekers with the 50-850 please chime in on the specs of your 50-850? Also, I'd appreciate it if anyones knows of a good place to purchase a replacement?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Allan Johanson
07-02-2006, 2:36 AM
How about taking the motor to a motor repair shop and letting them have a look?

Good luck!

Allan

Randy Meijer
07-02-2006, 3:23 AM
Might still be the start capacitor?? You checked it for a short; but how about an "open." Without the start capacitor maybe the motor doesn't have enough OOMPH to get going with the added weight of the impeller?

When I first started to read your post, I was thinking I had never heard of a DC with a DC motor!!:D :D

Jim O'Dell
07-02-2006, 9:23 AM
I've got a similar problem with a water pump for my sprinkler system. It runs about 4 seconds then trips the internal breaker, sometimes with a little puff of smoke. I did change the capacitor out, but didn't help. Luckily one of the "extra" pumps left by the previous owner looks like it had been rebuilt when pulled from service and I've got it installed and working. I'd contact Delta service and ask them about the motor running fine with the impeller off, but not with it on and see what they think. Your's could be as easy as a capacitor...that impeller has to be a lot more mass than some plastic pump impeller. Jim.

Andy Sowers
07-02-2006, 4:43 PM
Today, I pulled out the start cap and the run capacitor (this particular motor has both).

To test, I used a simple 9V battery to charge each up (my super-cheap multimeter doesn't measure capacitance). The smaller run capacitor DID charge up to 9V, but the start capacitor DID NOT.

So now I'm strongly suspecting the start cap... of course being a holiday weekend, all the local shops around here are closed so I'll have to wait until next week to get one. Or maybe I'll just order from Delta to make sure I get a compatible one (and save myself some driving around).

I'll post my results when I get a new cap. Thanks for the help!

BTW, anyone out there have a chance to look at the motor on their 50-850 dust collector for the specs on the motor label? I'm hoping that it is unecessary to replace the motor, but it will give me something to do while I wait for the capacitor.

Andy

Andy Sowers
07-14-2006, 4:23 PM
About two weeks ago, I purchased a used Delta 1 1/2hp DC for $20 (an older 50-850, I believe). The previous owner claimed the motor had just blown. I couldn't pass it up, so I brought it home with me.

After fiddling with the motor, and getting some help from fellow Creekers I ordered a new start cap. Well, the replacement part arrived yesterday (at last) and it works like a charm now!!!

I'm just getting into WW and only have a few real tools, so this DC should certainly suite my needs for a loooong time. Since I got it for a steal, I'm not sweating having to upgrade it to a cannister filter from Wynn...

My first real project is a maple dresser I built for my new daughter (turns 1mo this weekend!). The assembly is done, but the garage is a mess so I gotta clean it up before I can finish it. Will post pictures of it when I get it done in the next week or so (sleep permitting)...

Brett Baldwin
07-14-2006, 4:43 PM
Nice to hear a little persistence has paid off nicely.