PDA

View Full Version : What is the Hot Set-up?

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 11:27 PM
I was reading through some threads on routers and had an idea.........

What would the hot router table set-up be? Router, router lift, fence system, and table. I'm thinking of a table that would be on a dedicated stand (mobile or not) as opposed to one on the side of a TS.

Not necessarily a money-is-no-object kinda thing.......but a functionally top of the line set-up.

If you could just look through a catalog and put a package together, what would you choose and why?

Cecil Arnold
07-02-2006, 12:07 AM
I think I would still go with the basic Norm table, the DC is good, with a 3+ hp router with lift and plate that allowed bit changes above the table. I would want Pat Warner's fence.

Allen Bookout
07-02-2006, 1:20 AM
Well Mark,

I think that you really know how to get things going. I am not getting in on this one but am just going to set back and see what happens. Should be some real fireworks for the fourth on this thread.

Allen

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 2:16 AM
Well Mark,

I think that you really know how to get things going. I am not getting in on this one but am just going to set back and see what happens. Should be some real fireworks for the fourth on this thread.

Allen
LOL.......Hey, it's a long weekend.

I really would like to know though and hope that this subject can help some of us broaden our knowledge base. :)

Brian Clevenger
07-02-2006, 4:10 AM
Without knowing your needs for the setup, I don't know where to start.....

My first router table was a total find at Lowe's. I got the Freud Ultimate Router Package for $200. It included the Freud SH5 fence, the 3.5HP router, steel legs, the table, and an insert. For that price, it sounds like a good deal....but I hated it. Even after removing the springs, the router was very difficult to lift. It often lifted out of square without some assistance, and the dust collection wasn't there at all.

I cut a few rails and stiles, but never even gave it a chance to raise a panel. I just didn't like the system. I was able to ebay it for a small profit, so no loss.

Since then, I picked up the Rockler package at a huge discount. I got the table and fence with the Jessem FX lift for a killer price or I might not have even considered it.

I matched the table with my Bosch 1617evs, and I absolutely love it.

Granted, I don't raise many panels.... only six doors since I've started. However, the Bosch keeps up plenty well with a 3" ogee if I make 3 passes. That is good enough for me, as I don't make cabinet doors for a living.

What I do a lot of is round-overs and picture frame profiles on my router table. I couldn't ask for more. I did build Norm's base for storing bits, accessories, and parts. I'm glad I did. It makes for a heavy and solid foundation for any top and router you may decide to use.

The truth is, find your needs. I don't really need a 15amp router for what I like to do. I have found that the 11amp Bosch will do everything I need....even if I have to make multiple passes.

Clarence Lau
07-02-2006, 5:11 AM
Incra fence and positioner work for me. Even if you don't care for the Incra dovetail and other jointing capabilities, you still get a great router fence.
http://www.incra.biz/Products/LSSuperSystem600.jpg

I have the old benchmark favorite PC 7518 router in a Jessem Mast-R-Lift from Woodcraft. You may want to check out the Milwaukee 3+ hp router as well. In addition, there are other lifts available from Rockler, Woodpecker and a number of other vendors. I enjoy making photo frames and small boxes as gifts to the family and friends and so the router table happens to be my favorite power tool. YMMV.

My better-half probably wouldn't want to know her spouse kept the supposed-to-be-sold 2¼ hp PC router under the extension wing on the TS. It's nice to have a second bit already set up. Besides, I did spend quite a bit of time on fabricating the Wood magazine fence on that one.

With Aloha,

Clarence

Joe Spackle
07-02-2006, 10:25 AM
by the time you bought all that stuff a shaper would be the hot setup.

Joe

J. Greg Jones
07-02-2006, 5:38 PM
I'm putting the finishing touches on my router table-still need to build the drawers, add the back, and finish it. I will use the table as is to create dovetail joints for the drawers, so I can get some practice using the Incra fence. I've been buying the components for this table for several months now, getting every part of it at discount. I even waited for the casters to go on sale at Woodcraft. The good part about putting the system together over time is that I was able to get everything at a good price. The bad part about doing it this was is that I still spent an insane amount of money on the table-probably more than I would have been willing to spend on the setup if I had bought everything at once.

The router is a Milwaukee 3 1/2 HP 5625 sitting on a Woodpecker's PRL lift, inside a Woodpecker's dust control cabinet. The cabinet comes a bright blue, but I painted mine to match the wood. The top is also from Woodpecker's, 27 x 43 inches. The fence is the Incra 17 inch LS Super System and the cabinet is 3/4 inch Birch plywood assembled with pocket screws. I'll have drawers on the right side and on the left side under the dust control cabinet, which will be covered by a door. Should be a first-class table when it is done.

http://homepage.mac.com/jgregjones/.Pictures/Shop/Router/RT01.jpg