PDA

View Full Version : Mahogany Frame Delivered

Todd Burch
09-16-2003, 6:23 PM
The client was VERY happy with the Mahogany frame that I used boiled linseed oil and lacquer as the finish. Dimensions are 25" tall and 19" wide. The artwork is #10 of 14 Stations of the Cross. (You Catholics know what I'm referring to.) I, being Baptist, had to be educated! This is a prototype, and if they like it, I'll get the order for the other 13. I started it yesterday morning and finished it this afternoon. A lot of "sit" time for glue to dry, oil to dry and lacquer to dry.

You can't see it well, and I guess that's good, but the field of the frame behind the artwork is ebonized mahogany ply. It really sets off the artwork well, but subtley haromonizes with the frame through matching pore structure (sheeze - I sould like an art critic... :rolleyes: .)

Thanks for looking. Todd.

Bruce Page
09-16-2003, 8:05 PM
That looks beautiful Todd. I would be shocked if your customer wasn’t thrilled!

Jim Baker
09-16-2003, 8:56 PM
Beautiful work, Todd. It should be quite an honor to get that job that no doubt will be hanging there proudly for all the world to see. Good luck.

Ed Falis
09-16-2003, 9:03 PM
Hey Todd,

As long as you continue being such an artist, there's no shame in sounding like an art critic now and then. Beautiful work, once again.

- Ed

Brad Schafer
09-16-2003, 9:18 PM
agreed - beautiful work (again).

b

Phil Phelps
09-16-2003, 9:32 PM
....charge more ;)

David Rose
09-16-2003, 9:39 PM
Todd, is it common to have that much figure in mahogany? I've not got any experience with the wood and just wondered. Daughter wants something made of it, probably since I can't get it locally :rolleyes: , and I always thought of it as a straight grained wood.

Nice work!

I have seen the "14 stations of the cross" but did not realize it was a "common" display, not being Catholic either. I saw it in an outdoor setting in the TX panhandle.

David

Bob Lasley
09-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Todd,

I like it. Simple lines letting the wood do the talking. I agree that the ebonized plywood sets off the art work..........frame included.

Bob

Jim Becker
09-16-2003, 11:53 PM
Yum! Nice "piece of mahogany", especially after you gave it your special treatments! I love the shimmer and the design of the frame/backing is perfect for the task. Great job!

Todd Burch
09-17-2003, 12:21 AM
Thanks all.

David, ribbon striping is pretty common in Honduran Mahogany, but way more common in African Mahogany. (I used Honduran.) When I bought this stock, I picked up two pieces, "just in case..." The one I thought was the most straight grain I jointed first. Much to my surprise, it had/has a curl figure to it! I set that aside (for me!), and jointed the second piece, which I did see beforehand had a little ribbon stripe to it.

Mahogany is a real pretty wood and is easy to work with power and hand tools. A very stable wood. My grandfather handplaned a piece of 8' mahogany, 6/4 thick, and used it for his only straight edge for years and years.

David Rose
09-17-2003, 12:40 AM
Thanks Todd!

I'm spoiled by having a mill close where the guy likes to trade for my services and product. That also has limited my wood species to local stuff most of the time.

There was some at the CUSA BBQ too that was nice. Don't know where I got the idea of the bland stuff. Probably cheap commercial furniture from back in the "wood furniture" era.

I need to see what the daughter saw to determine what might satisfy her. I had a feeling it wasn't the featurless stuff I've seen in the past. :) With your frame I can see why she would like it. I want to see the *nice* stuff too when you produce something with it.

David

Thanks all.

David, ribbon striping is pretty common in Honduran Mahogany, but way more common in African Mahogany. (I used Honduran.) When I bought this stock, I picked up two pieces, "just in case..." The one I thought was the most straight grain I jointed first. Much to my surprise, it had/has a curl figure to it! I set that aside (for me!), and jointed the second piece, which I did see beforehand had a little ribbon stripe to it.

Mahogany is a real pretty wood and is easy to work with power and hand tools. A very stable wood. My grandfather handplaned a piece of 8' mahogany, 6/4 thick, and used it for his only straight edge for years and years.

Glenn Clabo
09-17-2003, 8:53 AM
Todd,
This is a great design but somewhat an unusual look for the stations. "Usually" they're just hung on the wall with no frame. I can't imagine them not hiring you on for the rest. If they don't it isn't because of your design or workmanship. The frame really does blend in with the artwork while not detracting from it's meaning. Well done all around.