PDA

View Full Version : Wormy Chestnut Mantel Completed

Jon Farley
07-01-2006, 7:00 PM
This is a project I've been working on the last week or so. It is a chestnut mantel. The customer wanted a rustic mantel and suggested pine, but I talked her into letting me do it with some salvaged chestnut I've had around for a couple years. She has a thing for copper so that explains the copper "caps" on the corners. It is all made from 3/4" material, but made to look like one thick, solid piece through the use of lots of miter joints. Finish is 3 light coats of Tried & True Original Finish. Thanks for looking.

Corey Hallagan
07-01-2006, 7:38 PM
That looks great Jon. The miters look great framing the main panel. Nice job.

corey

Bryan Somers
07-01-2006, 8:11 PM
You definetly achieved the rustic look on that piece. The copper on the corners add a really nice touch.

Dan Oliphant
07-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Nice work Jon, your use of 4/4 stock to make it look much thicker turned out quite well.

Norman Hitt
07-02-2006, 12:30 AM
It looks TERRIBLE, Jon. You should have sent that wormy chestnut to me so I could have made a Coffee Table out of it.:rolleyes: :D :D

Seriously, that's a Very Nice job with excellent craftsmanship and accomplishes the desired Rustic look and Especially the Heavy solid Beam look.

Good Job. (I sure wish I had some Chestnut, as it ranks up there close to Mesquite as one of my favorite woods).