PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw Cool Blocks the answer?

Jerry Todd
09-16-2003, 4:36 PM
I have a problem with the blade guides that came with my JET 18" Bandsaw, (JWB-18). Want to make some Band Saw boxes and the blade of choice is the 3/16 inch 10 TPI blade. The problem is the guides on each side of the blade. I can not adjust the guides backward enough to keep it in back of the teeth on the blade. Just got off the phone with JET TECH SUPPORT and they were not able to help me. Would COOL BLOCKS be the answer? If so are they made for this saw and if so shere could I purchase them? If not Cool Blocks any other solutions? Thanks, Jerry

Eric Apple - Central IN
09-16-2003, 4:45 PM
How about setting the tracking a bit forward of center ? Since your not cutting a straight line, drift cause by the off center sitution shouldn't matter much. Just set you thrust bearing to be sure the teeth can't roll back into the guide blocks.

Phil Phelps
09-16-2003, 5:20 PM
Jerry, have you tried a 1/4" 6 tooth hooked blade? Not much more witdth than the 3/16" blade, but your blade may be too fine. You can make your own guides too, if your so inclined.

Jim DeLaney
09-16-2003, 5:26 PM
If not Cool Blocks any other solutions? Thanks, Jerry

Cool Blocks will work, but so will some plain old hardwood blocks. Make your own from oak, maple, Lignum Vitae (if you have any on hand, it's the best because it's naturally so oily), or any other hard wood. They'll work every bit as well as the commercial Cool Blocks, for a fraction of the price.

George Summers
09-16-2003, 5:51 PM
I also use homemade blocks of hardwood. I leave them about 1"-1½" long. I add an additional step in making mine. I soak them completely submerged in mineral oil for 24 hours and then stick them in the microwave (completely submerged) for 30-45 seconds. I store them in a zip lock baggie (you can make several years supply in a very short time). In using them, I bury the blade in the end of the block. That is, I push the blocks right up to the blade and if a thin blade, bury the teeth in it. when it becomes a bit ragged, I can sand it flat, or reverse it or, for the price, toss it and put new ones in.

George

PS: Know any of the Summers, Crews or Avery families from the Gainesville area?

Edward E Wilson Jr
09-16-2003, 9:53 PM
Jerry:

I just replaced by cool blocks on my saw as they were showing quite a bit of wear. I replaced them with BandRollers (however they only fit a 14") that were recommended to me by the guy that runs our turning club. I feel that I am getting a much better guide with my blade. I am also able to adjust them back and forth quite a bit.

Ed

Jerry Todd
09-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Jerry:

I just replaced by cool blocks on my saw as they were showing quite a bit of wear. I replaced them with BandRollers (however they only fit a 14") that were recommended to me by the guy that runs our turning club. I feel that I am getting a much better guide with my blade. I am also able to adjust them back and forth quite a bit.

Ed
Was that the same bandsaw I helped carry down the basement stairs the last time I was in the Granite State?
Jerry

Edward E Wilson Jr
09-17-2003, 8:53 AM
Sure is.

Ed

Jerry Crawford
09-17-2003, 9:49 PM
Jerry:

Ed

When I rebuilt my 60's vintage Delta/Rockwell a few years ago I made several hard wood guide blocks and soaked them in oil as related above. They have given me great service. I looked into roller guide's but couldn't justify the high cost. The thing that made the biggest difference in my BS was those red rubber tires and link belt.

Edward E Wilson Jr
09-17-2003, 10:01 PM
Jerry:

Thank you for that information. May want to look into it. I was given a gift certificate to Woodcraft, thus the reason for getting the band rollers.

Ed

Jerry Crawford
09-18-2003, 6:48 AM
Jerry:

Thank you for that information. May want to look into it. I was given a gift certificate to Woodcraft, thus the reason for getting the band rollers.

Ed

yeah - free is always good