PDA

View Full Version : "Board and Plaster"?

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
I was flipping through the channels just now and caught the last few minutes of a "This Old House" show (they were talking about using and installing back-up generators and sump pumps). When asked what was next, Tom said that if the latest inspection had passed then they would go on with the "Board and Plaster".

Is plaster still used alot back east? Or is "board and plaster" another term for drywall?

Ken Garlock
07-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Ah yes, Google is your friend:) A quick search gave 9300 hits for the literal "board and plaster". Since these poor people on TOH live in the Boston area, this site (http://www.mass.gov/bbrs/780CMR_Ch25.pdf)will give you what the state of Massachusetts says about it.

Lee DeRaud
07-01-2006, 12:32 PM
Is plaster still used alot back east? Or is "board and plaster" another term for drywall?No, I've seen them do this on earlier projects. The "board" part is called "blue board" (I think): it's like drywall, but has some kind of water-resistant resin coating on the paper face. They hang/tape/mud it like drywall, then put a skin-coat (maybe 1/8" thick) of plaster on it.

Jim Becker
07-01-2006, 7:58 PM
TOS uses plaster a lot...over blue board, as mentioned by Lee. 'Must be common in their area...rare around here. The look is quite rich, however, when it is done correctly.

Ben Grunow
07-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I have only seen that in CT once but we routinely skim coat whole houses with compund and the paint finish is noticably better after. I would think that the thicker plaster would make a house more difficult to trim as the corners (inside and out) would be more built up than with regular drywall and mud. Seems like a lot of extra work to me.

Michael Cody
07-01-2006, 10:51 PM
TOS uses plaster a lot...over blue board, as mentioned by Lee. 'Must be common in their area...rare around here. The look is quite rich, however, when it is done correctly.

That's cause the guys on TOH ain't paying thier own bills... I love the show and watch it, but really, how many average joes (ain't that was PBS is supposed to be about) can afford the stuff they showcase on TOH.. My only solice is that if I ever need it, I have a nephew who is a plaster contractor - ie Blueboard and real plaster. But the cost 4-5 times what drywall, mud and paint costs.

Steve Ash
07-01-2006, 10:57 PM
This may give you an idea of cost for board and plaster. I just remodeled a ladies restroom facility at our local American Legion hall. Size of the room was 12 x 16, included doing the ceiling. I removed all existing wallboard down to bare studs, ceiling joist, then called in my sub. All materials including priming and painting this room was $2200.00