PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight store prices vs online/catalog prices

Clyde Hefner
09-16-2003, 4:25 PM
I just spoke with an operator online from Harbor Freight.
I wanted to know why I can purchase a lathe (34706) from a Harbor Freight store for $199.00 but I have to pay $269.00 for the same lathe online or by catalog. The operators reply was that the stores are different than Harbor Freights catalog and Harbor Freight online and that they can offer different prices. Well.... I really dont understand her answer so I guess the $70.00 extra price will pay for the so called free shipping. I will keep you posted on this one as I am not sattisfied with her answer to my question.

Dave Sweeney
09-16-2003, 7:06 PM
Normally, HD retail outlets will honor website/catalog sale prices but the website/catalog will not honor the retail outlet sale prices. I have taken advantage of this a few times at the local retail outlet. I'm not sure why this is but possibly some of the retail outlets are franchise operations and not being company owned are free to set their prices where they want too.

John Strait
09-16-2003, 8:35 PM
Clyde,

I would go to HF's website and click on the left side where it says "Order from Printed Catalog" and enter the number 34706-3vga. That should come up as $239. Usually you can change the first number of the last four digits on the part number and see if there is a cheaper price. For example change the 34706-0vga to a 34706-3vga and "submit" and if the price is different it will post it. You need to be sure to delete the present listing if you want to try it again, but it works for me. Sometimes you can find a great difference in prices on the same item. The $239 is the lowest I could find on your lathe. I have also printed out this page and taken it to the HF store and they have honored it providing the price is lower than theirs. It has worked everytime for me.

John

Mike Evertsen
09-17-2003, 1:12 AM
I have bought from HF for many years they have always had this scam I mean pricing differents, :D,,they will list an item a couple times in one catalog change the part number alittle and charge different prices,,or send out flyers same item different number different prices,,,it is just their way of doing buisness,,,,,

Clyde Hefner
09-17-2003, 1:40 PM
Normally, HD retail outlets will honor website/catalog sale prices but the website/catalog will not honor the retail outlet sale prices. I have taken advantage of this a few times at the local retail outlet. I'm not sure why this is but possibly some of the retail outlets are franchise operations and not being company owned are free to set their prices where they want too.
Youre rght on the money Dave. I talked with H.F. again today and thats what I was told. I believe this type of policy will backfire in the long run. Just my 2 cents worth....Clyde

Chris Coyle
09-18-2003, 2:52 PM
In the past I've ordered items from HF Online and not been charged tax, even though they have a store in town. There seems to be some separation between the two entities. If you can buy from the local store I seem to remember seeing a 10% off coupon recently but I don't think that works for the catalog.