View Full Version : Free oak in Beloit WI

Mike Parzych
07-01-2006, 8:22 AM
Ain't "progress" wonderful...

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/local/14943211.htm

Brian Hale
07-01-2006, 8:51 AM
The term "Putz" comes to mind :mad:

Or, to quote a friend, That's a gert dollop ploppies.

Brian

Chet Parks
07-02-2006, 8:09 AM
The town of Belvidere, NJ has a simular sized oak, which is a prized tree in the town. This one is located with 1/2 of the trunk in the street. The tree has been hit by cars several times and they won't even consider discussions about cutting it down.

Chet Parks

Mike Parzych
07-02-2006, 8:52 AM
It's a real example of a brain dead bureacracy. Spend a lot of municipal money to destroy something that could have been a money making proposition, not to mention what could have been gained from the situation if they were dead set on getting rid of it. I'm sure a simple newspaper story would have brought sawyers out of the wood work, so to speak, to harvest some of that.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-02-2006, 9:27 AM
I see this mindset a lot in my town, although this is an extreme case. It seems that folks these days don't appreciate the appearance and benefit of trees in a suburban setting. All you need to do is use the magic words of 'safety' and 'children' in a sentence, and then you can pretty much do anything you want anyway you want.

I'm certain something could have been done in the way of traffic controls, but I guess a 300 year old tree isn't worth it to most folks. I'm not sure if a new endtable in someone's living room will bring much comfort to the tree's owner as she looks out her window now.
-Jeff :(