PDA

View Full Version : Shaper Speeds

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 1:29 AM
So...I was looking at shapers (your admonishments don't go unheeded Tod :D ) and I noticed that the top speeds are 10,000 RPM. Usually they are 7000/10,000 or 8000/10,000. How is one supposed to use smaller router bits at only 10,000 RPM?

tod evans
07-01-2006, 8:01 AM
mark, feed a little slower most router bits will cut fine at 10k. if you get a shaper you`ll find that your tooling will grow quickly and the routerbits will stay in the drawer unless you need to use them in a router. for a easy test turn your router down to the lowest speed setting and run the bit, most p/c routers go to 10k and that`s "no load" rpm with a shaper you`ll have a real hard time loading the bit enough to slow the motor..02 tod

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 12:57 PM
But smaller bits are what I use most. If I was to get a top of the line table mounted router, say a PC or the Milwaukee, and a top of the line lift and table package, what advantage would I realize for me to instead use a shaper? I need a set-up for what I do know and maybe for then next two to four years. I really don't see my skill set or my needs advancing enough to use a shaper to its full capacity. I don't have anything against a shaper but becasue of my space limitations I want to optimize tool usage.

It just seems that my needs and usage right now (now that I've looked a little deeper at some shapers) are better suited to a big, full router set-up that a shaper. Later, to me, is later; Later, when I have more room, I see the advantage of having a shaper. Am I missing something Tod?

Thanks for your time and advice.

tod evans
07-01-2006, 1:07 PM
no mark you`re probably not missing anything. if space is an issue and most of your cuts can be performed to your sattisfaction with a router then maybe that`s the best solution? if you find a router isn`t giving you the results you need then look to a shaper. not knowing what type of work you do and your work enviornment it`s really hard to offer good advice....02 tod

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 2:03 PM
You have been/are a good help Tod, thanks. I do value your experience in these larger type of tools.

As far as what I do with my router table, I put edge treatments on window sills and make simple (for now) cabinet doors. I am having trouble with my joinery right now because of router runout/table flatness issues. I'd like to do dadoing on my router table but as yet haven't been able to due to the runout thing. I also do a fair amount of roundovers and edge trimming as well.

I've done no raised panels yet but I'd like to have the possibility once in a while.

I've got a router table cabinet that rolls (of course) and it probably has close to the same footprint as a shaper but, if you recall, I have that pesky trailer ramp issue to deal with and a shaper looks scary heavy.:D

What I REALLY need is a 9' wide trailer. :D

Rick Christopherson
07-01-2006, 2:19 PM
Most people run their routers too fast for the bit. This is why burning is such a problem. 10,000 RPM is a good speed for most router bits. I hardly ever run my router at full speed, not even for the really small bits.
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>
I’m kind of confused by the assertion that a shaper takes up more space than a router table, unless it is a benchtop router table that you can store elsewhere. A 1-1/2 hp shaper is smaller than most router tables I have seen, and has the same amount of power as the most powerful router on the market. (There is no such thing as a 3 hp router, that’s marketing B.S.) Comparing a 3 hp shaper with a 3 hp router table is not an equal comparison.

P.S. I see that you just made a posting while I was in the middle of writing this. If you need it to be portable, the shaper is going to be much heavier. That may not be good for your needs, but it is the reason why I prefer a shaper over a router table. A mobile base might help, but may not be enough for getting it on a trailer. However, according to your list of uses, the shaper is more atune to your needs. The portability would be more of a problem.

Mark Rios
07-01-2006, 2:29 PM
I’m kind of confused by the assertion that a shaper takes up more space than a router table, unless it is a benchtop router table that you can store elsewhere. A 1-1/2 hp shaper is smaller than most router tables I have seen, and has the same amount of power as the most powerful router on the market. (There is no such thing as a 3 hp router, that’s marketing B.S.) Comparing a 3 hp shaper with a 3 hp router table is not an equal comparison.

Sorry, didn't mean to be confusing. I said that my router table "probably has close to the same footprint". From looking at pictures of them they look to be very close. My existing table is roughly 24" x 30" and the base is a couple inches smaller each way.