PDA

View Full Version : ok I'm hooked now

Bill O'Conner
06-30-2006, 8:24 PM
Just got the old Lathe (got from my Grandfather) up and running last night,everything seems to be working just fine.

I'm having trouble with a lot of chip out in the turned piece I did last night to see how it worked. The wood was an old piece of walnut that Gandfather had from years ago. Could this be too old and dryed out or could it be that my tools need to be sharpened.

I haven't turned in quite a few years

Bill

Don Baer
06-30-2006, 8:31 PM
Probubly your tools need sharpening. The lidded bowl I just posted was done on some very dry wood.

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2006, 9:34 PM
I agree with Don. On hard woods such as walnut, black locust, oak, etc. your tools must be razor sharp. I did a black walnut box I posted on here that was dry and hard. I sharpen on the grinder to hog off most of the wood. I then sharpen on the grinder and then I use a diamond hone my tools for the final finishing cut.

Bill O'Conner
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
are there any treads on how to sharpen? I'll need some help with that :rolleyes:

Don Baer
06-30-2006, 11:31 PM
Start here

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.html#sharpening

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2006, 11:40 PM
Bill..........I am a relatively new turner but here's what my experience has been. One....get a sharpening jig system of some kind. Once you find the profile that you like on your tools, with a jig you can get it that way ...the first time....every time. 2nd as stated by Bernie....I sharpen before I start a project .....sometimes during......and usually just when I'm ready to make that last light cut. Good luck and welcome to the Vortex!

Bill O'Conner
07-01-2006, 7:24 AM
Thank you all

Bill

Dennis Peacock
07-01-2006, 7:50 AM
Good Morning Bill, and Welcome to SMC and The Vortex.....:D

As others have already stated....get you a slow speed grinder, some good Aluminum Oxide (white) wheels (80 grit works well, but I like 100 grit ;) ) then get yourself a Wolverine or something like it sharpening setup to include the Varigrind jig. This will GREATLY reduce the grinding away of tool steel by providing a way to "consistantly" getting the same grind each time you sharpen. Your turning tools need to be sharp and to save you money, an avenue to sharpen your tools consistantly is the way to go.

May I suggest that you try your hand on some "green / wet" wood? It's a lot more forgiving, easier on you and your tools and will allow you to learn the basics of tool control without a lot of fuss and dust.

Welcome and keep us posted on your progress....post a pic or two when you can. :D

Bill O'Conner
07-01-2006, 8:45 AM
Ok so I guess I'll need to get a good grinder, something with atleast a 8 inch wheel and find a good grinding wheel not the cheap ones that come with the grinder

Bernie Weishapl
07-01-2006, 9:18 AM
A lot of times Bill if you will watch, Woodcraft has the grinder with 80 grit and 120 grit wheels already on it for around $70. I think they are about $89 regular price. Don't quote me. It is a good little grinder and works well. Then as Dennis said get the wolverine jig so you get consistant sharpening everytime.

Bill O'Conner
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
well there goes this months turning budget but I'll have some nice sharp tools. too bad it's just the start of the month

Scott Donley
07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
well there goes this months turning budget but I'll have some nice sharp tools. too bad it's just the start of the monthRemember, you were warned ! :D

Curt Fuller
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
I have to agree with what everyone else has told you Bill. Once your sharpening skills improve your turning skills will improve right along with them. But if you don't learn to sharpen, it would be a good and economical idea to buy 60 grit sandpaper by the case.

If you take a look at Mark Cothren's bowl http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=38924 it's a beautiful example of the combination of walnut and sharp tools.

Also, there aren't may things that are more fun at the lathe than turning a green, wet piece of wood and watching those 2 foot curls come peeling off.

Bill O'Conner
07-01-2006, 11:29 AM
well I heading off to Milwaukee right now to the woodcraft store to get a grinder and the jig. Hopefully there will be a DVD on sharpening there that I can also get

Yes I was warned about this vortex and it looks like I fell in head first and there is no way out

Thanks every one for the help this morning

Thanks
Bill

George Conklin
07-01-2006, 12:39 PM
Good Morning Bill,

I agree with the rest of our esteemed group here. However,,, The picture police are going to issue a citation if you fail to post pics.

We are very visually oriented and require a constant feed of pictures and we also have this saying:
No pics... Didn't happen!!!

So,,, I suggest you go out and get yourself a camera, take some pics of your new lathe, tools, dog, whatever. We're not a picky bunch and post them here right quick!

Doing so will negate the necessity for further online chastising:D :D :D

By the way. Welcome aboard, Bill. Now say goodbye to money as you use to know it.:D

Bill O'Conner
07-01-2006, 2:34 PM
I learned a long time ago that money as I knew it was gone. I have a first hobby just as bad as this turning thing. that tought me that the HD in Harley Davidson doesn't stand for a shorter form it stands for Hunderd dollars because everytime you walk in to a dealership you walk out with a few of them missing in your wallet.

Bill

Gary DeWitt
07-02-2006, 2:52 AM
Couple more tips on grinders - If you get a Delta, count on replacing the white wheel, it will probably be so warped you won't be able to true it up. Which brings me to wheel dressing. That's right, you can't use 'em nekked ;). It's getting late, I shoulda quit while I was ahead...
If your grinder doesn't come with one, make sure you get a diamond wheel dresser. Wheels must be kept flat, clean and concentric to properly sharpen. This is not an option.
A Wolverine jig or similar will prevent a lot of potential frustration with some of the more difficult grinds, as well as save you a lot of time too.
Good luck, and have fun.

Vaughn McMillan
07-02-2006, 5:12 AM
To add to the sharpening jig suggestion, PSI has a knock-off of the Wolverine jig (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/lcgrind4.html) that, in my limited experience, does a comparable job for somewhat less money. There are minor design differences, but the concept is identical, and the PSI jig is substantially built. (From the looks of things, I'm guessing you've already picked up the Wolverine, but I mention this for other peoples' reference in the future.)

Have fun getting sucked back into the Vortex, enjoy your new toys. ;)

- Vaughn