PDA

View Full Version : Block plane refubish

Terry Bigelow
06-30-2006, 4:17 PM
I collect,refurbish and USE old Stanley planes. I have several different block planes which have blade depth-adjustment knobs(more like wheels) that ride on a vertical threaded post at the rear of the plane. I have a few "parts" planes that I would like to combine into a user. My problem is I need the threaded post from one plane onto the body of another and I can't seem to get it off without destroying the threads. Any suggestions on how to gently remove it?

Mike Wenzloff
06-30-2006, 5:11 PM
Best I can think of, Terry, would be to screw on two of the nuts, wrap tape around a pair of plier's jaws and gently try to unscrew it. Do note that the threads may be either left-hand or right-hand. So gently try one direction, then the other. Unless you can tell from the threads dropping into the casting.

Never have tried to take one apart, so take the above with caution <g>...

Take care, Mike

William Daly
06-30-2006, 6:26 PM
Why don't you send an e-mail to Stanley Works in New Britain, CT and tell them what you are doing.

I also buy and sometimes restore old Stanley tools and when I have a question about a tool, I seend them an email. It may take awhile for it to get to the correct person.

Maker sure in your email you put a really good descrition in your subject line, such as "Need Plane resoration Advice".

harry strasil
06-30-2006, 7:49 PM
Terry, if you are refering to planes like a 220 or a 60½, there are right and left hand threads on the same screw. remove the cap and iron and just turn the the screw clockwise and the the little cast adjusting block will move toward the mouth, The block will come off before the main screw comes out of the threaded aperature. To reinstall, first start the screw at least one turn into the thread and then start the movable piece on. Its a real neat and simple way of moving the adjuster.

Terry Bigelow
07-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Actually this is a Stanley no.#18 with the knuckle-joint cap. The set up is a little different than a 91/2 or a 60.

harry strasil
07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
sorry, I don't have any of that type to look at, but they had to get it together somehow

harry strasil
07-02-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok, I think I have it figured out, evidently the threaded stem screws into a threaded base. some of those old planes had odd ball threads so be careful.

Just find a nut that will fit the stem thread, saw clear thru one side of the nut, little over half way thru the other side from the outside, screw it on the stem, clamp real tight with a pair of vice grips and screw it out, if it resists rap the stem lightly on top while attempting to turn it out.

Terry Bigelow
07-03-2006, 1:05 AM
Hey Harry-Thanks a lot! That sounds like a great way of doing it, I'll give it a shot ASAP. Thanks again.