PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Shellac

ROBERT FALK
06-30-2006, 1:24 PM
I've hear of people grinding shellac flakes in a coffee grinder prior to mixing in the solvent.

My questions are:

Is there a problem if you "overgrind" them to espresso grade?
Does it do any damage to the grinder?
Should it be dedicated to only shellac flakes thereafter?PS: I know I could have posted this in Project Finishing - I didn't want to miss out on any smart / funny remarks!

lou sansone
06-30-2006, 2:13 PM
I've hear of people grinding shellac flakes in a coffee grinder prior to mixing in the solvent.

My questions are:

Is there a problem if you "overgrind" them to espresso grade?
Does it do any damage to the grinder?
Should it be dedicated to only shellac flakes thereafter?PS: I know I could have posted this in Project Finishing - I didn't want to miss out on any smart / funny remarks!

I use a dedicated grinder. All you are trying to do is to get the flakes into smaller pieces to dissolve easier
Lou

Cecil Arnold
06-30-2006, 2:18 PM
What Lou said, and it doesn't really flavor the coffee much.

Jim Becker
06-30-2006, 5:00 PM
A cheap coffee grinder does the job nicely...blade type...and I really don't think you need to worry about "too fine", per se.

David Wilson
06-30-2006, 5:22 PM
Shellac is a food safe finish. Used to coat some pills and M&M's so you could use the grinder for coffee again.

Jerry Olexa
06-30-2006, 5:53 PM
No, No and yes. It helps dissolve the shellac as does putting the container in a warm bowl of water. Yes, I wouldn't grind coffee with the same grinder

Joe Zerafa
07-01-2006, 5:52 AM
When I am in a rush to mix some shellac I just let the batch sit on top of the washing machine (my wifes usually washing on weekends when I get to play in the shed) the constant movement really speeds up the mixing process.

Joe