PDA

View Full Version : Tour de France in turmoil!

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, at least 2 of the top riders are out amid the continueing doping scandles. Ullrich and Basso are not racing because of it. And at least 1 full team is out. One report says up to 50 riders could be out, and not replaced, leaving this a small field for the Tour. This could leave the field wide open. If you are watching the Tour, who are yu going to root for this year? Jim.

Steve Hayes
06-30-2006, 11:41 AM
I've been a cyclist both road and mountain for years and I am fed up with the tour and the doping crap. The LOML and I were going to do Ragbrai this year and were speaking with a few people that have done it and all the garbage that goes on and now that it is rumored that Lance was going to participate just ruined it. This was going to be a vacation but don't want to deal with now.

Rob Bourgeois
06-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Just remember...they are innocent till proven guilty. They are out because their teams would rather not get completely thrown out of the race if the riders are shown to be positive. The money from the sponsers will go away if that happens.

There is also a political part of this as the Spanish police have pointed fingers at more riders from rivial teams than Spanish teams.( however one whole team is Spanish). Some people in biking circles think that Spain may be trying to help their national guy Valverde by removing the competition.

This opens up the race for the American Discovery team( none implicated) with Hincappe( USA) and Salvodeli(italy) and for 2 Americans in the race Landis and Leiphimer. My bet is one of those 4 will either win it or 2 of them will be in the top 5 now that this has happened.

/recreational bike rider who watches the Tour. My wife does triathlons.

Mark Rios
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Well, at least 2 of the top riders are out amid the continueing doping scandles. Ullrich and Basso are not racing because of it. And at least 1 full team is out. One report says up to 50 riders could be out, and not replaced, leaving this a small field for the Tour. This could leave the field wide open. If you are watching the Tour, who are yu going to root for this year? Jim.

Heck, if the field is that small then I'M going to enter. With a few well placed nudges I might even place somewhere in the middle of the field. :D

I've been a cyclist both road and mountain for years and I am fed up with the tour and the doping crap. The LOML and I were going to do Ragbrai this year and were speaking with a few people that have done it and all the garbage that goes on and now that it is rumored that Lance was going to participate just ruined it. This was going to be a vacation but don't want to deal with now.

Steve please explain. What does riding (OR NOT) in RAGBRAI have to do with Lance and the tour and doping? Is Lance going to be giving lectures on doping at the rest stops? :D Seriously, RAGBRAI is a great ride and it seems that Lance and his entourage could be avoided if you really wanted. However, there might be some really great stuff that one might not get to see/enjoy/take part in on other rides.

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2006, 12:34 PM
Rob, you're right, there are many political possibilities there. I told one of my co-workers earlier that if it proves out that these that were kept out because of the accusations are found to be clear, I can't imagine the fireworks that will happen. It could dismantle the biking powers that be. Maybe that would be a good thing.
Jim, who does not ride at all, but rooted for Lance a few years ago and became amazed at what these atheletes have to endure, and the trainging they go through, and became a fan.

Lee DeRaud
06-30-2006, 12:37 PM
...but rooted for Lance a few years ago and became amazed at what these atheletes have to endure...Yeah, and it got even worse after he retired. :eek:

Steve Hayes
06-30-2006, 2:17 PM
I'm not really concerned with Lance it's the news crews and fans. We rode in his Austin ride a year or so ago and there were so many crews around it was havoc. We purposely started as far back as we could just to avoid the crowd. We were going to Ragbrai for a Vacation, relax and have a great ride but I think we will avoid it now. Also the scantily clad people and all of the alchohol at night just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a prude by no means but some of the video that I've seen from people that have ridden it made my mind up. Not good for the 7 year old to see.

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2006, 2:30 PM
Steve, you make it sound more like Sturgis!! :p :D Jim.

Mark Rios
06-30-2006, 4:25 PM
I'm not really concerned with Lance it's the news crews and fans. We rode in his Austin ride a year or so ago and there were so many crews around it was havoc. We purposely started as far back as we could just to avoid the crowd. We were going to Ragbrai for a Vacation, relax and have a great ride but I think we will avoid it now. Also the scantily clad people and all of the alchohol at night just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not a prude by no means but some of the video that I've seen from people that have ridden it made my mind up. Not good for the 7 year old to see.

Well, I would think that there would be crews upon crews at HIS event but there are ways and places to stay away from the undesireable stuff if you want to in RAGBRAI. However, it has gotten a little more "party" than I like to deal with over the years.

Did you get your name drawn in the lottery? Can you get your money back for the entry at this late date?

Would you tow the seven year old or is he/she up to the daily mileage? One thing that people don't realize, unless you're from that part of the country is that it's NOT really flat but LOTS of rolling hills. Quite a surprise for some. :D

Kyle Stiefel
06-30-2006, 6:05 PM
Go Hincappe! It would be great to see this war horse win one. All those years towing Lance around. I am amazed that such a big guy is an all around rider. I haven't seen the doping news yet today because I am avoiding news websites because I have recorded the world cup games for when I get home.

It is funny the only channel I want is OLN to watch the Tour each year, but I don't have it. Here you get TV via sattelite so I have a dish and got a package but of course the OLN doesn't come a la carte but with the huge 6,000 channel package which I don't need. Well last year I said I am doing it because I need the Tour ( I spent the last 5 out of 7 years living in Germany). I called the Dish network and they said well in Alaska in order to get the signal you have to put another dish on your house at a different angle, so I still don't get to see the Tour unless I drop a load of cash.

Life goes on but sadly with no Tour.

Mark Rios
06-30-2006, 6:21 PM
Kyle, I've GOT to believe that you will somehow be able to watch it online this year. Someone should be streaming it or at least parts of it. Or, perhaps someone can record a stage or two at a time for you on tape or disc and can send it to you. Just an idea.

edit: I just checked the OLN homepage, http://www.olntv.com/tdf and down toward the bottom of the home page they have something called "Daily video". When I clicked on it they had a drop down menu titled "Jump to stage"....... Maybe this will be what you want.

Kyle Stiefel
06-30-2006, 6:37 PM
Kyle, I've GOT to believe that you will somehow be able to watch it online this year. Someone should be streaming it or at least parts of it. Or, perhaps someone can record a stage or two at a time for you on tape or disc and can send it to you. Just an idea.

edit: I just checked the OLN homepage, http://www.olntv.com/tdf and down toward the bottom of the home page they have something called "Daily video". When I clicked on it they had a drop down menu titled "Jump to stage"....... Maybe this will be what you want.

Mark,

Thanks for the research. I am kind off in the sense that I have a tough time getting the same excitement out of an event when I already know the results.

I had a routine when I lived in Germany. I would get off work and usually be able to catch the last 2 hours of so of each stage and I would hop on my trainer and just have a great time. My thought process hear was to record the days stage and then come home, hop on the trainer and watch some the stage, have some dinner, what a great evening. I haven't even looked at how much of the stages OLN puts out, Eurosport would have nearly all of the stages in there entirety (sp?).

Good point on your part, I should take what I can get, and be happy.

Jim O'Dell
06-30-2006, 6:45 PM
OLN coverage, if like last year, was about 3hrs live, then repeated that evening with cutaways for special interest stories about certain towns visited during that stage. It wasn't like you saw every mile of the race, but pretty good coverage. Doubt that they will do the side by side commercials like ABC did for the car races the last few weeks, though. ;) Jim.

John Kain
06-30-2006, 9:36 PM

As a former 8 year RAGBRAI veteran, I can say for sure that professional cycling has nothing to do with the fun and atmosphere that RAGBRAI has to offer. It's as far away from that EURO cycling crap that you can get.

You will never regret a RAGBRAI trip. The nice people, the friendly bikers, the locals......it's my favorite bike ride there is. Granted, I've only been on the NE ride and the GA ride. But RAGBRAI just isn't the same....it's a ride of it's own and fully deserving of the term "best state-wide ride in America".

Kevin Herber
06-30-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm rooting for that guy in the commercial on the street cruiser and regular clothes. He hands out water as he works his way to the front of the pack....

Seriously, with Lance out it has lost its appeal for me. I haven't paid any attention this year.

-- Kevin

Charlie Velasquez
06-30-2006, 11:30 PM
As a former 8 year RAGBRAI veteran, I can say for sure that professional cycling has nothing to do with the fun and atmosphere that RAGBRAI has to offer. It's as far away from that EURO cycling crap that you can get.

You will never regret a RAGBRAI trip. The nice people, the friendly bikers, the locals......it's my favorite bike ride there is. Granted, I've only been on the NE ride and the GA ride. But RAGBRAI just isn't the same....it's a ride of it's own and fully deserving of the term "best state-wide ride in America".

Have to second that.

This year, the last leg will go right past my front door. If you change your mind, let me know, will be out to cheer you on!