PDA

View Full Version : 39 Year Oak Anniversary Dish

Christopher K. Hartley
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
7 1/4" X 1 5/8" Red Oak finished with Danish Oil and Waxed. I gave it to the Anniversary Girl (My Wife) today and she was thrilled. The dish reveals all of the wood parts from the heart wood to the bark. The bark piece actually broke off when I was turning it but I was able to CA it back with no apparent harm. The stress marks in the wood give it some real beauty. It isn't much but she likes that I made it and gave it to her today.:)

Michael Stafford
06-30-2006, 11:19 AM
Chris the dish is very nice and the sentiment attached to it makes it an heirloom. I am somewhat confused about the significance of "39 year oak anniversary dish". Surely you couldn't have been married 39 years. You look too young in your avatar picture.... Happy anniversary in any event. Nice work.:D

Rich Stewart
06-30-2006, 12:23 PM
You are the oak man. Looks beautiful. happy anniversary. I have lots of oak around here. I may have to re-think my opinion of oak. Actually my opinion is that it looks great but it always splits and cracks and warps for me. The green stuff anyway. I have used a couple boards that were bought at Lowes or HD and they came out nice. 'spensive though.

Christopher K. Hartley
06-30-2006, 12:50 PM
Chris the dish is very nice and the sentiment attached to it makes it an heirloom. I am somewhat confused about the significance of "39 year oak anniversary dish". Surely you couldn't have been married 39 years. You look too young in your avatar picture.... Happy anniversary in any event. Nice work.:D Thanks very much for both compliments the one on the dish and on me. Yes, I have been married 39 years and am very close to 59 years old. The picture is about 4 months old.:)

Christopher K. Hartley
06-30-2006, 12:52 PM
You are the oak man. Looks beautiful. happy anniversary. I have lots of oak around here. I may have to re-think my opinion of oak. Actually my opinion is that it looks great but it always splits and cracks and warps for me. The green stuff anyway. I have used a couple boards that were bought at Lowes or HD and they came out nice. 'spensive though. Rich I have my share of splits and cracks and warps as well but don't give up. Look for some older dead or dying stuff and it may well serve the purpose. Thanks for the encouragement.:)

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2006, 1:14 PM
Happy anniversery Chris. The dish looks great. I like the fit and finish. She will treasure it forever. Way to go Chris. I have been married 39 yrs. also. So we are the same age then.

Tom Sherman
06-30-2006, 2:24 PM
Really nice Chris I like the form and the purpose.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-30-2006, 2:47 PM
Chris, that's a great looking platter. I find significance in the inclusion of all aspects of the tree. It speaks of the love and life that you and your wife have shared, all aspects of it. A platter like that is a truly awesome anniversary gift---not only for its beauty, but for its symbolism.

Happy anniversary, Chris, and may there be many more!

Mark Cothren
06-30-2006, 2:48 PM
Very nice work, Chris!

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2006, 5:09 PM
Very nice Chris! Very thoughtfull gift and congrats and here's to many more!

Corey

Bruce Shiverdecker
06-30-2006, 7:07 PM
Great job with the Oak, Chris! Anniversaries are important. This will be one she remembers for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGG time.

Bruce

Ernie Nyvall
07-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Hey Chris, a big Congratulations on your Anniversary!!! The dish looks great. You rally do nice work on all the oak you've done.

Ernie

Gary DeWitt
07-02-2006, 1:50 AM
Congrats on 39! That's a nice platter. Isn't it great how our families have this positive filter they see all our creations through? First platter I made was pretty simple, and even tho it was very dry wood, warped a bit after turning, so it rocks a bit on a table. Gave it to the wife anyway, and now you'd have to pry it from her cold fingers to get it back! Course, we have our own filters. She's still the most gorgeous person I've ever seen, and I'd fight to the death anyone who said different. Aint it grand?

Barry Stratton
07-02-2006, 1:32 PM
Well done, Christopher, well done!!!! You are doing a terrific job with a wood tht has a "difficult" reputation. Keep them coming. Congrats on the 39th anniversary as well. Did you marry when you were 7?????

Christopher K. Hartley
07-02-2006, 9:32 PM
Thanks to everyone for the comments and well wishes. It's been a busy weekend and I'll be glad to get back to a norm. and maybe get to create some lace:D