PDA

View Full Version : With a little help from my Friends!

Lee Schierer
09-16-2003, 10:39 AM
While in Washington, enjoying Sophie's picnic Dave Smith graciously offered to help me turn a piece of wood that Sophie had laying around in his shop. It was a piece of plum that had been harvested some time before and sealed. Dave said "go ahead and turn it Lee, its not my wood!" As we were to discover as we started turnig, the wood had several serious checks in it. With Dave's patience, guidance and the help of some thin CA glue we discovered what sort of bowl was hidden inside the piece and avoided most of the checks and cracks.

The bowl was sanded to 320 grit, burnished with shavings and finished with three coats of Minwax Antique Oil finish. The true color is pretty much the color shown in the second photo. The Flared lip is about 5/32" thick and the side walls are a bit thicker as we were concerned about the checks if we got it too thin. I wrapped it in plastic to get it home and while awaiting the finish. Still the checks did open slightly as the exposed wood acclimated itself to being exposed to the air.

My thanks to Sophie for the piece of plum and to Dave Smith for his experience and guidance on making this happen and finally to Ken Salisbury for giving me a great finish idea.

No, I am not ordering a lathe!

Tom Sweeney
09-16-2003, 11:04 AM
"No, I am not ordering a lathe!"
Da Nial - it's not just a river in Egypt :p

Man I'll have to find me some Plum to turn - LOML loves purple & maybe If I make her something nice - I'll be able to buy a new tool :rolleyes:

Nice job Lee - for some strange reason I actually like turnings with cracks & other "defects" in them.

Brad Schafer
09-16-2003, 11:07 AM
wow. what a nice looking piece of work. beautiful wood.

b (NOT buying a lathe, either. Really - I mean it ... I'm not kidding ......)

Noah Alkinburgh
09-16-2003, 11:16 AM
very nice Lee!

All I got Dave to help me turn was confetti light :D and I had to provide my own wood!! The nerve.

As far as buying a lathe....well one year ago I said the same exact thing! :D

Noah

Bob Lasley
09-16-2003, 1:23 PM
Lee,

Beautiful wood, beautiful turning.

After bringing home a turning like that, your wife may buy you a lathe!

Very nice piece,
Bob

Dave Smith
09-16-2003, 4:50 PM
Hi Lee,

The color in the second picture is how I remember the wood. I knew there was a lot of figure and the finish brought it out. And to think we didn't calculate any proportions and it turned out OK. Accidents do happen.

It is keeper for sure. Did you sign and date the bowl? Your kids will want to know when they inherit it. Sue wont let it go before then.

It was a lot of fun turning that bowl. Now where is the picture of Mr. Ritter's bowl and Andrews Field's plate.

For any of those people reading this thread. If you don't want to turn don't go to a woodworking gathering attended by me or a bunch of other instigators.

Dave Smith

Really full of it in Longview, WA.

David LaRue
09-16-2003, 5:40 PM
It seems to me that you are being to sucked into the Vortex called wood turing shortly. I can feel The Force starting to tug on me. :eek: You turning looks like that would fit a small block Chevy on top of a Holley carb... :D (joking)

P.S. Great looking piece. Keep them coming

Dave