PDA

View Full Version : Dove tail jigs for half blind tails

Jeff Horton
06-30-2006, 10:13 AM
I have an upcoming project that is begging for half blind dovetails. I am in the process of buying a good saw so I can learn hand cut dovetails, but thats probably not going to work on this project. I think the half blind are more better here. ;)

So, I am starting to think seriously about a dovetail jig. I don't expect to use it a a lot. I am not interested in the Leigh or it's clone.

I would consider a used Ominjig but they are pretty pricey even used. So, what else is out there that isn't high priced and most importantly works well?

Bob Noles
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Jeff,

I have this one and have been satisfied with it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006AAS8S/qid=1151678978/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2152471-0352635?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

I'm sure there are better prices if you shop around. This link is for technical data to review.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I have the Omnijig and the Leigh D4
The Omni requires more thought to set up in the beginning and when it's set it's rock solid and flawless.
The Leigh is not even half so hard as popular legend says. Really the Leigh is so straight forward that it's very easy to use.

The Akeda is pricy and works great but it's not 24" long so you can't do caseworrk on it.

Porter Cable has a 12" jig that is cheaper than the Omnijig and works flawlessly.

There are others that do half blinds. Rockler has one & there are others.

If all you want is a 12" half blind DT jig you should ba able to get by with less than $150.00 outlay.

Jacob Snow
06-30-2006, 12:24 PM
i know i am in the minority here and haven't done tons of them, but my neighbor gave me a craftsman dovetailing jig for making half blind dovetails and it works pretty decent. I saw them at sears for like $40-60 or something like that. if you are only looking to use it for this job might be a cheaper option...

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 1:42 PM
I have this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6552&SearchHandle=DADBDADFDADADDDGDBDIDADBGCGBDADECNDID JDHGFCNDEGDDCGBCNGBGEDJDGCNDADADBDBGBDDDHGBDGGGDHD BDADADADBDADADADADIGEGPHGGFHEGBGJGMDADADADEDADADAD ADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADAD ADADIGEGPHGGFHEGBGJGMDADADADBDB&filter=dovetail

I got it on sale with the through dovetail extras for about $30 more. It sets up reasonably easy if the discussions on dovetail jigs in general are an indicator. Once set I just leave it AND the router alone till I'm done dovetailing. Good results except for plywood products as discussed in other threads.

Vaughn McMillan
06-30-2006, 2:20 PM
Another vote for the Rockler jig, especially if it's still on sale. I haven't used the others, so I have no basis for comparison, but I'm a dovetail rookie and I was cutting very workable half-blind dovetails with the Rockler jig within minutes of setting it up. I have the through dovetail template, but haven't had an occassion to use it yet.

- Vaughn

Bruce Page
06-30-2006, 2:23 PM
I have this one:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6552&SearchHandle=DADBDADFDADADDDGDBDIDADBGCGBDADECNDID JDHGFCNDEGDDCGBCNGBGEDJDGCNDADADBDBGBDDDHGBDGGGDHD BDADADADBDADADADADIGEGPHGGFHEGBGJGMDADADADEDADADAD ADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADADADADADBDADAD ADADIGEGPHGGFHEGBGJGMDADADADBDB&filter=dovetail

Now that's a link. It must've been a slow day when they wrote that one.:eek:

I have the Omnijig, it's pricy but bullet proof.

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 3:15 PM
Now that's a link. It must've been a slow day when they wrote that one.:eek:

I have the Omnijig, it's pricy but bullet proof.

I think their webmaster stutters.

Bob Childress
06-30-2006, 3:33 PM
I am also a dovetail newbie but bought the Rockler on sale and am getting good results, especially after reading a few threads on here about climb cutting, etc. to reduce tearout.:)

Jim Becker
06-30-2006, 5:02 PM
The PC is the way to go for HB dovetails...it's worth the quality and investment, IMHO.

Steve Clardy
06-30-2006, 5:20 PM
Yes. Just got my pc4212 lined out.
Had tearout issues, but those are resolved. Not the jigs problem.
Very well made unit. I'm impressed with it.

Jerry Olexa
06-30-2006, 5:56 PM
The PC is the best value out there for dovetails IMHO. Esp when Amazon gives it their $109 pricing. It'll do through dovetails also

William Daly
06-30-2006, 6:35 PM
Look at the Keller jig.

It has fixed spacing, meaning you have to make the drawer to fit the dovetails instead of the otehr way around.

They make several sizes. They are made of aluminum and trhe less expensive version is made form aluminum.

Jim Becker
06-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Look at the Keller jig.

The Keller is for through dovetails, not half blinds. It can be used on drawers that also have false fronts, of course.

Jeff Horton
06-30-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I like the price of the Rockler a lot! I want this to make 4 drawers so I don't want to invest a lot of money. I am sure it would get used again even though I don't expect it to be used a lot.

I really want like hand tools and I want to learn to cut dovetails by hand. I expect most of mine to be hand cut if ... no WHEN I learn how. I looked a several and honestly the Rockler 'looks' just like the cheap ones on Ebay. But I am hesitant to buy ones of these to find out. I watched an old Sears go cheap on EBay but decided against it too. Might just have to buy that Rockler at that price.

Charlie Plesums
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I moved to the Leigh jig from the old PC dovetail jig because of two limitaitons...

The inexpensive jigs that I have seen don't adjust for thin drawer sides... designed for 3/4 thick, barely ok for 1/2 inch, forget 3/8, etc.

The fixed spacing makes ugly looking starting or ending tail if the drawer is an odd height.

The simple jigs are easy to set up and use for half blind dovetails if you can live with those two limitations.

David Less
07-01-2006, 3:43 AM
I just got a chance to use my new Akeda jig for some through and blind dovetails, very nice machine and the out come of the dovetail was nice. Even for the first time. Some say it is expensive and some say it only does up to 16" wide stuff. Boy, let me tell you one thing, the dust control is GREAT. I hate using any router for that reason, IT MAKES A MESS! So, I didn't mind the price or limitation in width.

Remember, with all machinery, you get what you pay for!

My $.02

David

Roger Everett
07-01-2006, 7:11 AM
Jeff:
FYI, the current issue of FWW has a good article on hand cutting half- blind DT's.
Roger