PDA

View Full Version : new planer advice, please

doug brenner
06-30-2006, 6:52 AM
I am looking for a new planer. I'm willing to spend upto 1200. I don't need one that handles anything over about 12". Any recommedations? Yorkcraft, Woodmaster? Other brand? How's the snipe, finish on these machines?

Thanks,
doug

Russ Massery
06-30-2006, 7:53 AM
Doug, I bought a 15" Yorkcraft about 2 months ago. I'm very happy with the unit, It's my 3rd planer since getting into woodworking. And the best unit so far. It came in under $1000.00. Wilke is great company to business with.

doug brenner
06-30-2006, 7:55 AM
figured woods? How much snipe do you get?

Russ Massery
06-30-2006, 8:05 AM
I haven't run any Figured wood though it as of yet. After adjusting it I've gotten the snipe down to next to nothing. Maybe a couple of thousands. I found in the past running the board at a slight angle and light passed helps with figured woods. Which is a lot easier with a wider planer. I'm buying nothing but rough lumber now and my old planer was having trouble with it.

tod evans
06-30-2006, 8:44 AM
doug, woodmaster makes a pretty fair drum sander but of the two planers you mention i`d go with wilkes offering...02 tod

Jim Becker
06-30-2006, 9:06 AM
Doug, if you shoot for the 15" planer, it leaves you some space to run the figured stock through at an angle. That, combined with dampening the surface with water can often deal with moderate figure. I use that technique on my 14" MM J/P combo with success.

For any of these machines, if the infeed and outfeed systems (rollers and supports) are all adjusted correctly, you shouldn't really experience any snipe outside of the end of a twisted board...which if you face joint it first, shouldn't be a common occurrence...