PDA

View Full Version : 2hp motor on BS?

John Miliunas
09-16-2003, 10:25 AM
I've got the Jet 14"BS, with the enclosed base cab. It, of course, only has the 1hp motor on it. I've been toying with the idea of, instead of spending the big $$$ on a bigger machine, to just up the motor hp. I'm thinking in terms of a 2hp motor. I saw that Grizzly has a 2hp motor, running at 1725 rpm for a fair price. Now, I'm pretty sure this can be done, but might the 2hp be overkill for that little BS? I've got the riser block, as well as roller-guides, so resaw capacity is there. Obviously, the machine itself is not really a "killer" when it comes to heavy duty, so I'm a bit concerned. Any insight or actual experience on something like this would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

nic obie
09-16-2003, 1:32 PM
Have you read Iturra's catalog?

He suggests uping the band speed too.

John Davidson
09-18-2003, 7:35 AM
I've got the Jet 14"BS, with the enclosed base cab. It, of course, only has the 1hp motor on it. I've been toying with the idea of, instead of spending the big $$$ on a bigger machine, to just up the motor hp. I'm thinking in terms of a 2hp motor. I saw that Grizzly has a 2hp motor, running at 1725 rpm for a fair price. Now, I'm pretty sure this can be done, but might the 2hp be overkill for that little BS? I've got the riser block, as well as roller-guides, so resaw capacity is there. Obviously, the machine itself is not really a "killer" when it comes to heavy duty, so I'm a bit concerned. Any insight or actual experience on something like this would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

John, I saw you post a couple of days ago and ment to post a replay but forgot. I had the same problems with my 14" CS Jet. I think that the Jet 1HP motor on the band saw is a little weak. I burnt the motor up on mine resawing. I ended up replacing mine with a 1.5HP Leeson farm duty motor. I have not been able to slow this motor down with anything that I have thrown at it yet. The motor frame was a direct replacement and didn't require any modification to the saw. I don't think you could do this with a 2HP motor without modifing the base. The motor was $157 new delivered to the front door. I am very happy with the upgrade. Hope this helps.

John Miliunas
09-18-2003, 7:46 AM
The motor was $157 new delivered to the front door. I am very happy with the upgrade. Hope this helps.

John, where did you get your horse and a half? That sounds like a decent deal, all the way around. I really like the idea of not having to do additional mods to accomplish the task at hand, too! :cool:

Dominic Greco
09-18-2003, 8:00 AM
John,
For the past couple of months I've had this exact side project going! :D I have a brand spanking new 1750 RPM Baldor 2Hp motor that I want to install in my Jet 14" bandsaw.

The old motor has never been the same since the flood 4 years ago (yeah, its been that long) :eek: . It bogs down when I try to cut bigger turning blanks and makes cutting very hard woods a general PITA.

But this new motor is longer and larger in diameter than the old 1Hp motor currently housed in the enclosed base. So, do I cut a hole in the old metal base and let the new motor stick out? NAH! I designed a new base that will house the 2Hp motor.

The new base will feature:

Integral wheels to let me move it about safely
Ballast box at bottom to aid in stability while cutting large boards
Filtered air vents to let cooling air get to motor (something the old one didn't have)

I haven't built it yet, but I have the basic design down. The case will be made from 3/4 MDO, MDF or ply panels (whichever I can get) with poplar trim. It will be painted the same "jet blue" as the old case and should not present too much of an eye sore.

BTW, this is a mechanically sound upgrade. The saw can take it. If you do go with a larger motor, you just have to be sure that you can get a pulley (sheave) that is the same size as your current one. That way the blade speed will remain the same. Since I jumped up to a 2HP motor, I needed to buy (2) new v-groove pulleys (sheaves).

But be careful. The blade speed is set by the sizes of the pulleys. To get the correct ratio, I just measured the diameter of the existing motor pulley, and the diameter of the existing bandsaw pulley and divided the larger by the smaller. Then you just look in a catalog and try to find a combination that works with that ratio.

(If you already know about this, sorry for stating the obvious)

I also picked up a set of industrial grade link belts at the same time. I mean, if you're gonna upgrade, why not go top shelf?

See ya,
Dominic

Don Farr
09-18-2003, 8:05 AM
John, where did you get your horse and a half? That sounds like a decent deal, all the way around. I really like the idea of not having to do additional mods to accomplish the task at hand, too! :cool:

I would like to know that also. I am a Leeson distributor and there is no way I could match that. That is real close to my cost. :confused:
I know larger distributors get better discounts, but even so I don't know how they are selling them for that.

John Davidson
09-18-2003, 8:14 AM

I ordered it from Electric Motor Wharehouse. It was about $140 plus the shipping. I went down stairs and checked, it is model #110089.00.They have a web site but I don't have it. I found them through a web search for motors distributors at Yahoo.com. Also noticed that they sale on Ebay. When I found the motor listed so cheap I called and ask them how could they sale this motor for that price, all the local shops wanted about twice that amount. They told me that the sale all over NA and that leeson gives them a great price due to the high volume.

Don Farr
09-18-2003, 9:10 AM
I ordered it from Electric Motor Wharehouse. It was about $140 plus the shipping. I went down stairs and checked, it is model #110089.00.

You sure got a deal. I just looked it up and that motor list for $400.00.
I would normally sale it for around $245.00.

John Miliunas
09-18-2003, 10:58 AM
I ordered it from Electric Motor Wharehouse. It was about $140 plus the shipping. I went down stairs and checked, it is model #110089.00.They have a web site but I don't have it. I found them through a web search for motors distributors at Yahoo.com. Also noticed that they sale on Ebay. When I found the motor listed so cheap I called and ask them how could they sale this motor for that price, all the local shops wanted about twice that amount. They told me that the sale all over NA and that leeson gives them a great price due to the high volume.

Muchos gracias, John! I will definitely have to check that one out! I was really kind of hoping I could just upgrade to a bigger saw and dedicate it for resawing, then keep my 14"er for smaller stuff, but I'm not sure LOML will go for that! :( If I end up with the 14"er as my sole BS, it's getting the upgrade! :cool:

Greg Daves
09-18-2003, 1:20 PM
I have wondered the same thing myself. Some folks stay away from Amazon, but they have a 1 1/2 HP Baldor for $179 delivered as another option.

GD

Greg Daves
09-18-2003, 1:21 PM
I have wondered the same thing myself. Some folks stay away from Amazon, but they have a 1 1/2 HP Baldor for $179 delivered as another option.

GD

Sorry, forgot link...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000223WH/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.2/002-0470472-7510428?v=glance&coliid=IIYFJ6G4R2O1U&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER