PDA

View Full Version : two more

Barry Stratton
06-30-2006, 1:35 AM
Can you tell my rough outs are drying out?????

First is a spalted/almost punky oak bowl, about 4" X 3". Playing around with different shapes, I think I like this one but let me know what you think. Finished with lacquer.

The little cup/thingy is walnut - it doesn't show in the pictures but the curl is amazing. I was attempting (poorly) to copy Big Mike's ort bowl non hollow form things. Obviously I was going by memory and not a photo as it ain't even close:o .....

Slowly learning that I need to take my time sanding. Not that I'm actually taking my time, but I'm slowly figuring out that I should:D

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-30-2006, 3:01 AM
Looking good, Barry. The form on the oak piece is quite nifty. I, too, wish the curl in the walnut had shown better---I'm sure the curl is very well set off by the form.

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2006, 8:21 AM
Nice job Barry. Some colorfull wood! I really like that little bowl and it looks like it has alot of figure in it. Keep them coming. Looks like a nice block of walnut sitting there too! :)

Corey

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2006, 8:26 AM
Nice work Barry! You have started to get the hang of everything!

Bernie Weishapl
06-30-2006, 9:17 AM
Hey buddy that bowl is a mighty fine looking bowl. I like the cup to. The second picture you can see some curl in the walnut. Nice job. Keep'em coming.

I found out the same thing you are Barry. Slow down and use light pressure. I remember the first time I sanded the first bowl my finger would get hot. Wow. I found light pressure and take it slow works a lot better.

Mark Cothren
06-30-2006, 9:32 AM
Nice work, Barry! The curl shows up on the Walnut, but I'm sure it's better in person. The Oak looks good, too.

Rich Stewart
06-30-2006, 2:06 PM
Real nice looking bowl. The oak is looking better and better to me. I like that cup too. Walnut is a favorite of mine. Good job.

Tom Sherman
06-30-2006, 2:18 PM
Two more nice pieces barry, I like em both

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-30-2006, 3:36 PM
Hey buddy, looking good! :)

I hear you on the sanding slow, works for me too!

Cheers!