PDA

View Full Version : Big Dog finds a home - Gloat

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Got the mounting holes drilled for my Milwaukee 5625. Plenty of power, soft start and the above the table adjustment is one of the few luxuries in my humble shop/garage. The motor slips easily from the body for bit changes.

Now I've got to address under the table dust control. My Ryobi 2hp was sealed with a dust nozzle for the shop vac. This guy may require that I build an enclosure with a dust port. I'm not finding any router body mounted dust ports for this model(?).

Tyler Howell
06-30-2006, 7:33 AM
Congrats Glenn,:cool:
Play safe, those big dogs can bite.

Bob Childress
06-30-2006, 8:05 AM
Way to go Glenn! I see some raised panels in your future.:)

Corey Hallagan
06-30-2006, 8:26 AM
Very nice Glenn! Looks great.. be safe!

Corey

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 8:53 AM
Thanks guys. I have a deep fence setup with guards and featherboards. etc. and probably should have included a shot with that in place. The raised panel bit does look kinda finger-hungry just sitting there exposed like that. I'll post my attempts at raised panel doors once complete and we can all have a good laugh. ;-)

Jim Becker
06-30-2006, 9:00 AM
Very nice gloat, Glenn!

For your dust control...build a box around it with a 4" port if you have a DC...and be sure to leave a way for air to enter the box. Dust extraction can't happen if you don't have air flow.

CPeter James
06-30-2006, 9:15 AM
Not to spoil your fun, but I have the same router and I turned mine 45 degrees when I mounted it to allow adjusting from the top without moving the fence. This gets the hole for the wrench out beyond the fence area.

I love this setup and have run hundreds of feet of stock through it with no problem. The built in riser works great, but I do from time to time blow out the stuff that collects in the screw area.

CPeter

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 10:52 AM
CPeter, I see what you mean. That would have been the smart thing to do :o . I'll have to watch my set up habits and see if I need to adjust with the fence in position enough to qualify for a 90 degree CCW turn and another hole for wrench access. I 'think' I generally set the height before the fence depth (yeah, that's it . . . I'll convince myself).

You see? I asked all kinds of advice when selecting the router and it worked out great. I didn't ask any opinions about mounting it and here I am :D .

Thanks All!

CPeter James
06-30-2006, 12:42 PM
You can always drill a second set of holes if it turns out to be a PITA where it is located. I think they might have mentioned this in the instructions. PC doesn't address either with the 890 series router. I remounted one for a friend of mine for this reason.

CPeter

M. A. Espinoza
06-30-2006, 8:14 PM
You see? I asked all kinds of advice when selecting the router and it worked out great. I didn't ask any opinions about mounting it and here I am :D .

Thanks All!

I wouldn't get too worried about limited access for the wrench. You have to reach under to unlock it anyway so I've never bothered with the wrench.

There may be some setups that might be easier to adjust with the wrench but I got so used to the old Porter Cable that it just doesn't occur to me.

Enjoy the tool, I've been happy with mine.

Roy Hatch
07-01-2006, 8:52 AM
Glenn,
I just went to the other forum and picked this up from my post last year regarding my new Milwaukee 5625:

"You aren't going to believe this. The service center, an independent contractor in Asheville, NC, called today to say that I could pick up my router. It only took 1 business day, rather than a week as I was originally told. That's the good news.
The rest of the story: The service tech explained that he didn't have to open the motor, he just blew it out and shook it. "Must have been dirt in it." I told him that I had hit it with compressed air, but that didn't fix it. He shrugged his shoulders and explained that the warranty didn't cover dirt. After paying $14 I walked out with my router.
A call to Milwaukee: The regional service manager explained that in a router table the wood dust is not blown away from the motor as when used in an upright position. I commented on the neat wrench that Milwaukee provides to adjust height from above the table, indicating to me that the router was expected to be used in a table. This is true, but dust can accumulate when in that position and it probably interfered with the contacts in the switch. Apparently unable to refund $14 charged by the "independent contractor" he offered to send me some screwdriver bits valued at $20. The manager that I spoke to was very polite and understanding.
Does this sound like something that should be referred to the engineering department?"

I am happy to say that it has run beautifully since then and I have no regrets.
Roy

CPeter James
07-01-2006, 1:26 PM
Yes it does and I had the same problem. I fixed mine with a blast of contact cleaner. I use an external switch mounted on the table so it is not a big problem, but am glad to see that I am not the only one. A sealed switch??

CPeter

glenn bradley
07-13-2006, 1:33 PM
Good call Jim. Here's a quick box built out of scrap; door removed for clarity. Not pretty but will get me through my current project without burying the shop in snowdrifts of chips. The area of the hole in the table top plus 2 slots on the left and right just below the table top and into the box are just a bit larger in area than the 4" dust port. BTW, a 3" PVC coupler and some epoxy make a great 4" OD dust port for about a buck.

This proved (by accident, not design) to provide good airflow in the right direction; router bit to dust port. I'll use the same design when I make the permanent cabinet. There's plenty of room to drop the router out of the housing for bit changes as the 5625 won't extend far enough through the top for above the table bit changes. I'll have to ask the Creekers what they think of collet extenders.

At the pace I move, taking a moment or two to drop the router out is of no consequence and the exercise of squatting down to do so helps me keep my girlish figure :D .