PDA

View Full Version : Who can make a wood initial for me?

Bob Noles
06-29-2006, 10:20 PM
I am working on a project that I would like to personalize with a wooden letter "N" that needs to be about 3" X 3" and have round over edges. I don't think I am any good at this task and would rather compensate someone who knows what they are doing and has the proper equipment.

Anyone here interested in doing this for me? Send me a PM or email for further details.

Steve Schoene
06-29-2006, 10:29 PM
I have seen such wooden letters at large arts and crafts stores. You might be able to call around and see if your local stores have them, and how large.

Not really too hard a job, you may be selling yourself short. You can get a pattern right off of your word processor--no drafting needed. Just chose a font you like and print the largest size you can. If that's still too small, you can blow it up at the nearest copy center. Then use spray adhesive to secure it to the wood you desire and cut out the outline with a scroll saw, band saw, jig saw, or coping saw. Then you can round it off with a rasp and sand paper.

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Lay it out with a stencil. Glue it to the wood and cut to the line. To round it over use a sander. Sharp chisels will work too so too an exacto knife or your trusty a razor knife with a fresh blade.

Make the stencil with your PC and printer expand the Font as you go to get it right.

fred woltersdorf
06-30-2006, 12:19 PM
go to the crafts section at wally world, they have the whole alphabet in different sizes for cheap.

Mark Pruitt
06-30-2006, 2:19 PM
I have seen such wooden letters at large arts and crafts stores. You might be able to call around and see if your local stores have them, and how large.

Not really too hard a job, you may be selling yourself short. You can get a pattern right off of your word processor--no drafting needed. Just chose a font you like and print the largest size you can. If that's still too small, you can blow it up at the nearest copy center. Then use spray adhesive to secure it to the wood you desire and cut out the outline with a scroll saw, band saw, jig saw, or coping saw. Then you can round it off with a rasp and sand paper.
No need to blow it up if by that you are referring to a copy machine. In Word, 72 is the largest font size offered in the drop-down; however, if you will click on the font size so that the size number is highlighted, you can then type a larger number and Word will produce that size.