PDA

View Full Version : Boy, stoppers are fun :)

Joe Fisher
06-29-2006, 8:55 PM
With a pin chuck, they're super quick and fun. And great tool practice!

Think these are bocote? They have no finish on them, yet. They've just been Tripoli buffed. I haven't decided if I'm going to wipe some poly on them.

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/stoppers_stand1.jpg

http://www.fisherwoodcraft.com/images/stoppers_stand2.jpg

Thanks for stoppin by,

-Joe

Corey Hallagan
06-29-2006, 8:59 PM
Nice work! Bocote.. I don't think so. My guess is Bubinga. Good looking stoppers!

Corey

Dave Smith
06-29-2006, 9:01 PM
Looks like bubinga to me.

Stopper are a lot of fun and good spindle turning practic. They look great from here.

Dave Smith

I trade wood for money in Longview, WA.

Mike Vickery
06-29-2006, 9:37 PM
Looks nice. Are you a chess player? I think I see a pawn, a bishop and a rook in their ;-)

Joe Fisher
06-29-2006, 10:15 PM
I am a chess player :) I made the bishop for a friend of mine who's taken a lot of time to teach me.

Thanks!

-Joe

Bernie Weishapl
06-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Those are some fine looking pieces. I think it might be bubinga to me. Nice job.

Barry Stratton
06-30-2006, 1:52 AM
Great stoppers! Definitely put poly on them - that bubinga will SHINE!!!!

And I gotta ask - getting ready for a 4th party???

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
06-30-2006, 3:05 AM
Very nice looking stoppers, Joe. I gotta wonder---are you thinking about doing a "chess set" of these things? Might be interesting to see chess played with empty bottles... :)

Joe Fisher
06-30-2006, 9:31 AM
Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get any finish on them. I had to get them in the car this morning, so I just gave them a quick hit with the wax wheel. They shure shined up nice!

A 4th party? Nope. I've got my stuff in a consignment shop, but it's 4 hours away, and I only get up there about once a month.

-Joe

Joe Fisher
06-30-2006, 9:31 AM
Oooo a stopper chess set! Cool idea ;) I can use all of my empty Scotch bottles!

err...um...I mean pop bottles. Yea, pop bottles. :)

-Joe

Frank Fusco
06-30-2006, 9:39 AM
I didn't even know people still used bottle stoppers. Then I got requests from family for some. Made them up and gave as gifts that were well received. Great use for scraps of wood.

Joe Fisher
06-30-2006, 10:00 AM
Yup yup! My favorite part is how quick they go once you get the hang of it. I banged out 4 of them in about an hour, from block to buffed.

I also learned not to use CA (even the extra-slo stuff) to put the cork on. At least not to put the superglue on the cork first -- put the glue on the dowel. Why? It seems the cork material activates the CA and it sets instantly.

:D

-Joe