PDA

View Full Version : My new Assembly Table

Ben Roman
06-29-2006, 8:37 PM
Hello all,

I set out to make a assembly table and here is what I have come up with. First I bought the leg set from Grizzly. G9924 Adjustable Height Legs - 34" is the part number. 47.00 each. I went to the borg and bought 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF. They were on sale for 29.00 each. I had the drone at the store rip them on the panel saw into 4 pcs of 4x3. I got them home and laid one out on my old workbench. I then used glue and screws on each layer of MDF until I had a glue and screwed tabletop that was 3 inches thick. And boy is it heavy. I got the idea from Bruce Johnson on DIY. ( I guess he is good for something). I attached the legs and with the help of a friend I turned it over. I ripped some old walnut on the tablesaw and attached it to the trim edge. I used up a can of old poly on the top and walnut. The pics are right after applying the first coat. I took a straight edge to the top and it is very close to perfectly flat. (Good enough for me ) I used some red heads to attach it to the garage floor and it does not move. Let me know what you think, Comments. It is not a torsion box but it is good enough for me. 160.00 Roughly :o . Pic Police compliant !

Larry Cooke
06-29-2006, 9:54 PM
Ben that looks great. Good idea on the adjustable legs too. One question, do you really think you needed to bolt that puppy down? :D

Okay, maybe two questions. How did you attach the walnut trim? Glue or?

Larry

Jim Becker
06-29-2006, 10:12 PM
Very nice. Flat is good. Heavy is good. Adjustable height is REALLY good!

Jon Farley
06-29-2006, 11:03 PM
[quote=Ben Roman]
"I went to the borg and bought 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF. They were on sale for 29.00 each."

Ouch...$29 as a sale price for a sheet of MDF!?

Nice table anyway.

Ben Roman
06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I glued them to the Sides then used brad nailer to hold it in place. Then clamped them up. I bolted it down because the floor in the garage is not too level and smooth. It rocked a little.

Thanks for the feedback

Ben

Ben Roman
06-30-2006, 12:14 AM
Correction 19.00 each just checked the reciept. Thanks for the feedback.

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the re-inspiration. An assembly table keeps getting put off for other things but is soo nice. Your's looks great; straight forward, solid AND adjustable. Enjoy!

Ken Werner
06-30-2006, 7:06 AM
I like it. Elegant. You gonna get glue and messy stuff all over that pretty puppy?

Ken

Russ Filtz
06-30-2006, 7:16 AM
Did you shim before you bolted? Could possibly torque it out of flat by bolting down a "rocker"! Wish I had room for something that big! Can barely get my wife's car into a 2-car garage now.

J. Scott Chambers
06-30-2006, 7:35 AM
Nice table, has given me a couple of ideas. How easily does it adjust? Seems like it would be too heavy to adjust using just one person.

Bob Childress
06-30-2006, 8:04 AM
Great looking table! Three inches of MDF??:eek: Whoa Nelly, that is a heavy piece!

Ben Roman
06-30-2006, 9:55 AM
No sure have not tried to adjust it yet :) Will have 2 people for sure !

Ben

Ben Roman
06-30-2006, 9:56 AM
You bet Im gonna get it messy !

Boyd Gathwright
07-01-2006, 12:01 AM
Hello all,

I set out to make a assembly table and here is what I have come up with. First I bought the leg set from Grizzly. G9924 Adjustable Height Legs - 34" is the part number. 47.00 each. I went to the borg and bought 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch MDF. They were on sale for 29.00 each. I had the drone at the store rip them on the panel saw into 4 pcs of 4x3. I got them home and laid one out on my old workbench. I then used glue and screws on each layer of MDF until I had a glue and screwed tabletop that was 3 inches thick. And boy is it heavy. I got the idea from Bruce Johnson on DIY. ( I guess he is good for something). I attached the legs and with the help of a friend I turned it over. I ripped some old walnut on the tablesaw and attached it to the trim edge. I used up a can of old poly on the top and walnut. The pics are right after applying the first coat. I took a straight edge to the top and it is very close to perfectly flat. (Good enough for me ) I used some red heads to attach it to the garage floor and it does not move. Let me know what you think, Comments. It is not a torsion box but it is good enough for me. 160.00 Roughly :o . Pic Police compliant !

.... Nice idea, looks good. You will never have to be concerned about a good solid and flat layout table again. I like the legs you used. Recently I purchased a piece of ½'' steel plate approx. 2 ½' X 5' for an outside portable table. Took two of us to load it in the hatch back. I think I may use a similar approach as far as the legs go.

.... Your table should last you a life time, nice work :).

Ben Roman
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
THanks for the compliments !