PDA

View Full Version : Honing Oil ?

John Buzzurro
06-29-2006, 8:21 PM
Other than being twice as expensive, is there any difference between Norton honing oil & the mineral oil you buy at the drug store?

Bruce Wrenn
06-29-2006, 9:38 PM
Garrett Hack uses kerosene on his oilstones. If you want a better smell, use baby oil. It is mineral oil with a scent added. If corn oil comes from corn and soybean oil comes from soybeans, where the heck does baby oil come from????

Mike Cutler
06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
If corn oil comes from corn and soybean oil comes from soybeans, where the heck does baby oil come from????

"Are there real Girl Scouts in your Girl Scout Cookies?"

Wednesday Addams (Christina Ricci) 1991.

:D :D ;) Sorry. Couldn't resist.

glenn bradley
06-30-2006, 12:54 AM
I use mineral oil with sharpening grits as fine as point-3 microns and have been satisfied.

Ken Werner
06-30-2006, 7:08 AM
Norton oil is made from the preserved remains of Ralph Kramden's dear departed friend, Ed.

Sorry guys, couldn't restrain myself in time.

Frankie Hunt
06-30-2006, 9:37 AM
Frank Klausz uses kerosene also. Must be something to it. He made a very brief comment about it in an article in the August issue of Popular Woodworking.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-30-2006, 9:57 AM
What about tung oil? ...Especially after dinner.
-Jeff :)

Cliff Rohrabacher
06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
where the heck does baby oil come from????

Dead babies. We run 'em through a mill that squeezes all the goodness outta 'em.

as to the OP's query

I use any old oil I have on hand. Really, any old oil at all.
Usually it's a motor oil. I have used auto transmission fluid, 3-in1 oil, & mineral oil but never veggie oil, Veggie oil will turn rancid.

Some guys swear that oil is the spawn of satan preferring to use water only. I dunno about the spawn of satan bit but I do know that water works fine.

Sonny Porter
06-30-2006, 11:42 AM
If kerosene is good, would WD40 be even better? It's mostly kerosene, isn't it?

William Daly
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Best thing I heard of for removing the swarf (minute metal particles) is #2 diesel, which is available at most gas station.

It has a lower flash point than kerosene and is safer.

Make sure that you wash any food preparation knives you sharpen thoughly or else your food may taste a little funny.