PDA

View Full Version : Old Junk Iron

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 6:51 PM
My old neighbor called me over one evening after I had done some emergency repair work for a customer beside my house using my service truck.

He took me to his garage and asked me if I had any use for some OLD JUNK IRON he had in his garage, he really needed the storage space for something else.

I told him I would find a use for it somewhere.

Old Junk Iron can be quite useful sometimes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/patmakersvise.jpg

tod evans
06-29-2006, 6:54 PM
jr, you suck! congratulations on a rare and wonderful score! tod

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
06-29-2006, 7:01 PM
Some People's Junk. Sheesh. It's perfectly useful looking. :)

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 7:02 PM
Tod, I did. I sucked in my breath, held back a smile and a happy face till it hurt as I was removing it and carrying it across the yard, the mounting part is on an old school work bench I found.

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 7:31 PM
About a year later my wife and I were over at the old neighbors house playing cards with them (about 3 months before he passed away), when he asked me to go to his cellar with him.

He had some more Old Iron that he wanted me to have.

Guess what,the wife and I carried it home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/beamborer.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/doormortiser.jpg

After he had passed his wife told me that his father had been some kind of carpenter.

I was a pallbearer at both their funerals, God Bless Them.

I mowed their lawn and scooped thier snow till the Mrs. passed.

Only daughter gave me a few more odds and end things.

Tyler Howell
06-29-2006, 7:34 PM
Yes!!! Tod's right.
You suck:mad: :rolleyes: :D

Frank Fusco
06-29-2006, 7:44 PM
Betcha yer conscience ain't even botherin' ye.;)
Wats that thing with the lever on wheels?

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 7:52 PM
Frank, would you have rather they went to the trash man or the scrap dealer.

Its an old time Door Lock Mortiser, for making the deep mortice for the 5/8 inch wide, latches that were put in inside doors in the Old Days. The wheels are hand wheels 2 each side with leather faces to clamp the door and center the cutter.

To use you drill two 5/8 holes the right distance apart, clamp the mortiser to the door edge and just move the long handle back and forth and the chisel cuts out the space between the holes. The two arms with springs on them have notches on the inside and stick down in the holes. The two horizontal guides hold the two arms against the inside of the hole and the arms go up and down as the handle goes back and forth and the arms pull the shaving out as the cutter goes down.

Dan Racette
06-29-2006, 8:00 PM
Can you tell me how to get to your neighborhood?

;) ;) ;)

I think pictures, albeit necessary, just sting like a paper cut.

The fact that you got it as "junk" stings like a paper cut....on your tongue.
:p :p

Seriously, though...the archivist in me says that it is just good that it actually didn't go to junk and great that a creeker saved it!!!

Take care of them!

Ken Werner
06-29-2006, 8:03 PM
wow Harry, you've explained one of life's mysteries.

Great find, and cool exposition on the mortiser.

Ken

Alan DuBoff
06-29-2006, 8:04 PM
Wow, congrats on the emmert Harry. Looks like it might be missing the tilting mechanism, but what an excellent score.

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 8:14 PM
not an Emmert Alan, its a Columbian, the missing part is fastened to a bench my big tool box sets on.

If you look close at the end in the picture, it says 7-A, its upside down.

a

Alan DuBoff
06-29-2006, 8:17 PM
Harry,

Is this an emmert clone that Columbia made? it's got the turtleback...

It is a pattern maker's vise, isn't it?

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 8:22 PM
yes, to both questions Alan. In my present condition, I almost didn't get it up on the bench to take picture.

harry strasil
06-29-2006, 8:29 PM
Mind you none of these tools were in this condition when I got them. Lots of cleaning and some repairing, I had to make one of the chip removal arms for the morticer and some minor parts for the beam borer.

I would post more of my Old Iron and goodies, but I don't want anyone to have be rushed to the ER because of me. LOL

Jasper Homminga
06-30-2006, 9:40 AM
Funny, I was just looking at this vise the other day. Sure looks like the picture of your vise Harry.

So is it really an Emmert of some sorts? (and thus worth obtaining)

Jasper

harry strasil
06-30-2006, 9:52 AM
might be a clone, check on the right side of outer jaw and see what name is there, its the most universal and best WW vise ever made.

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/wcraft_vise.shtml

Alan DuBoff
06-30-2006, 2:20 PM
Harry,

I think the fact that it's a columbia makes it more interesting, since there are less of them in the wild. There's a place online that sells parts for the emmerts, but the prices are high. If you can find one to see for yourself, in your case I bet you could forge up the missing parts to make the tilting mechanism.

I have one of the emmert clones which is not mounted yet, but I'm on vacation next week and will be working on my workbench, so who knows, maybe I will have it mounted soon...

harry strasil
06-30-2006, 3:06 PM
Alan I have mentioned I think TWICE that I have the mounting bracket and its on a WW bench my big tool box sets on. guess you missed that part.

Here is proof.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/irnsrgn/wood/visemntgbrkt.jpg

Alan DuBoff
06-30-2006, 3:40 PM
Harry,

Didn't realize you had the tilting mechanism already, you're golden, and you truely SUCK! That's a great vise.

I believe the pattern maker's vise to be the most useful and versatile vise available for woodworking.