PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap Brace

Sandy Johnson
06-29-2006, 3:29 PM
This weekend I attended a tool sale from an estate. The gentleman had a huge collection of tools which were obviously well maintained. I picked up a brace and a 13pc boxed Irwin Auger bit set. I don't know much about auger braces but always wanted to own one. Was looking to see if anyone has any background on the company Dunlap--which was stamped on the brace.

Even in the pouring rain there was a very large turnout for the sale. $55 for the brace and bits (which upon close inspection were never used) seemed fair. Also grabbed a couple of unused Record #52 vises for $25 each.

Rich Stevens
06-29-2006, 5:49 PM
Congrats on getting those 2 vices at $25 each, especially if they've never been used.

That suuuuucks, man, really it suuccccks!

LOL

Rich

skip coyne
06-29-2006, 5:58 PM
I belive dunlap was sold by sears (before craftsman )

Sandy Johnson
06-30-2006, 12:51 AM
Skip,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the web a little more this afternoon and it does seem that this was sold through sears. Nice brace though especially for the price.

Jim W. White
06-30-2006, 9:59 AM
The boxed set of Irwin auger bits usually draws atleast that much or more on *bay alone without the brace, and the brace is a fine one.

you did good. Congrats!

...one of the things I use the brace for most often is countersinking. You can find a brace countersinking bit on the 'bay quite often. Very useful!

Stan Thigpen
06-30-2006, 4:13 PM
Dunlap was the brand of lower-priced tools marketed by Sears. In more recent years, Sears sold a less expensive line than Craftsman under the Companion name.