PDA

View Full Version : Lie-Nielsen 25th Anniversary Tool

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
06-29-2006, 3:10 PM
...is a Bronze 4-1/2 that won't be added to their regular line. (http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=4_5bronze)

Shipping will be in late August.

Travis Johnson
06-29-2006, 8:03 PM
I had the fortune of taking a tour of their manufacturing facility today. I was pretty impressed with how they manufacture their line of hand tools. It was pretty neat to see the transformation from raw castings to brightly polished tools of quality. As I said, very impressive.

For others that are interested, they are having an open house on July 8th 2006 of which a tour of their facility will be available to people attending.

Brent Smith
06-30-2006, 2:34 PM
I ordered mine this morning. Twenty five have been allocated for Canada and as of this morning there were 23 left.

Brent

Corvin Alstot
07-01-2006, 4:56 PM
Sounds like a great tool, but not much different than the current LN 604 1/2
- just a little heavier. Most new Limited Editions do not make very solid
investments but as a tool to use it would be nice to own.

Brian Hale
07-01-2006, 7:07 PM
Can someone tell me how/if the throat adjusts? Does it work like a Bedrock?

I really like the size and feel of my Bailey 4 1/2 but some one filed the opening too wide. :(

Brian :)

Bruce Branson
07-01-2006, 7:55 PM
You just move the frog like on any other Stanley type 4 1/2,In this case like the Bedrock where you can get at the locking screws from behind the frog without taking off the levercap and blade.On your plane move your frog forward and adjust the blade until you get it to cut the way you want.I ordered mine two days ago.

Mike Wenzloff
07-01-2006, 8:24 PM
Brian,

I am assuming that seeing how you mention the adjustment, that you have moved the frog forward? While it would be fine to leave the mouth set for a ranker shaving, if you want to use it more as a final smoother, consider getting the blade and chip breaker for a LN 4 1/2. That will close the mouth up and make for a solid performer.

Take care, Mike

Brian Hale
07-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks guys!

I've got a Hock blade in it now but the opening is still larger than I'd like and it pulls grain from time to time (I'm working a lot of ash right now). Starting to try the shim-under-the-blade trick now.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Do you have the A2 or the O1 Hock blade? I've found my O1 to be a bit "grabby," but the A2 isn't.

Brian Hale
07-01-2006, 11:06 PM
It's the A2 blade. My LV BUJ will also rip out grain if i open the throat up so i'm assuming that's where the trouble lies. Maybe i should go for the LV BUS?

Corvin Alstot
07-01-2006, 11:48 PM
It's the A2 blade. My LV BUJ will also rip out grain if i
open the throat up so i'm assuming that's where the trouble lies. Maybe i
should go for the LV BU. Brian Brian / The LN blades comes in either a Stanley blade thickness .095
or their typical .140. If your plane has been opened up, the thicker blade
would fit, and hopefully give a better fit. See how much you need to add
in shim thickness to your existing blades to get a better idea.

Brian Hale
07-02-2006, 6:47 AM
Wow, i didn't know their blades were that thich. My Hock is .100 so the extra 40 thou would be a benefit.

Thanks!

Edit: They show an .095 blade as a replacement on their website and a .140 is listed on the page with the 4 1/2. Are these blades the same shape/size, will they fit my vintage 4 1/2 non-bedrock plane?

Sorry for highjacking the thread Deirdre

Bob Marino
07-02-2006, 10:54 AM
So, is anyone going to buy one?

Bob

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 11:06 AM
So, is anyone going to buy one?

Bob

Ya really.......

=Brent Smith I ordered mine this morning. Twenty five have been allocated for Canada and as of this morning there were 23 left.

So what's Canada going to do with the other 23?

:D :D :D

Brian Hale
07-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I'm seriously considering it ;)

My other choice is to get the LV BUS and BUJack to match my BUJointer for about the same price. I'm looking for users that'll put to use and IMHO the LN is more of a "collector" type plane. But............ :confused:

Alan DuBoff
07-02-2006, 11:48 AM
IMHO the LN is more of a "collector" type plane.It's a new hand plane. How many collectors do you know that collect new planes? Do you mean in the sense of this is a limited production?

Brian Hale
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Most collectors in general will jump at a numbered, limited production run betting on an increase of future value. That doesn't mean this isn't a plane designed to be used as i'm sure it is. It's heavier and made from bronze compared to the other 4 1/2 production plane that can be had for $50 less.

Brent Smith
07-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Hi Mark.......we're going to hold on to them and sell them to the Americans who missed the boat.......at a slightly elevated price of course:D :D :D :D

Alan DuBoff
07-02-2006, 1:06 PM
Most collectors in general will jump at a numbered, limited production run betting on an increase of future value.Oh, ok...I hadn't caught the difference between collecting and using. You did mention looking into the LN blade for your bedrock.

I think of this limited production plane as having the qualities that would make it a better user.

Limited and numbered productions are only valuable after they age. At that level you wouldn't want to use the plane. This is just my opinion, though.

As an example...I have an old Disston 68 gent's saw. This is brand new, in the original box, with the original paper. I consider this to be a collectable, I won't use it. It would almost be sacrilege to use it, IMO. OTOH, I have a several similar saws that I would use, and are more of a tool for me. I use this example to show you that I do both.

At the collectable level which you mention, one would need to buy the LN plane, stash it away for 25 years, and then it would be more interesting. For the near term it's a better plane as it has a bit more mass, and built out of better (although debatable) materials.

For collectability, an all original (and preferably unused) bedrock would be a safer investment, since it is already quite collectable. Of course "today" you might have to pay more for something like that, as should be expected. I'm sure there will be folks that put the LN planes away for 25 years and save them, but there will be plenty of folks buying them to use also, because it is a better mouse trap. This will drive some of the collectors mad...

Brian Hale
07-02-2006, 1:20 PM
Yes Alan, we're thinking along the same lines. I'm not a collector (at least at this point in my life) so I'm looking more for a quality tool at a reasonable price point. The LN's are quality tools and the price isn't out of line but i need bang-for-the-buck quality and i think the LV planes fit that bill for me at this time.

Of course, 15 years from now I'll look back and say "Brian, you're an idiot" :rolleyes:

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-02-2006, 2:27 PM
Bought one, but as a user, not as a collector. As Alf said on another board, a used one will be much more rare. ;)

Mark Rios
07-02-2006, 4:17 PM
Bought one, but as a user, not as a collector. As Alf said on another board, a used one will be much more rare. ;)

OOOhhhh Deirdre, you're not too far from me. I wanna see, I wanna see. :D

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-02-2006, 4:37 PM
Well, when I have it, you can. I also have several other LN planes.

Ken Garlock
07-02-2006, 4:53 PM
It's a new hand plane. How many collectors do you know that collect new planes? Do you mean in the sense of this is a limited production?

Alan, I bet they said the same thing about the Ford Mustang back in 1964 when it first hit the dealer's showroom.:) :)

It is a limited edition as only 500 will be made, and they will not be shipped until some time in August. The frog has "1981 - 2006" engraved on it.

Rich Stevens
07-02-2006, 6:20 PM
I rang LNTW on Friday and made further enquiries - without getting into specifics I was informed that sales of the Anniversary 4 1/2 were very strong seeing that they'd only been on sale for a couple of days.

My advice to some of you pondering whether to get one or not - if you are so inclined to get one, place your order now because they're selling fast. You won't get charged for it till August/Sept when they start shipping ...

I am planning to use mine - the extra heft of a 7 pound smoother is going to be an interesting experience. I am currently using my LN 5 1/2 (50 deg) for smoothing work - while it is heavy and packs a punch when dealing with stubborn grain, it is sometimes too big for the task at hand.

I won't deny it - I am truly looking forward to having that gleaming bronze plane in my hands.

R

Travis Johnson
07-02-2006, 9:19 PM
I was thinking about buying one and then seeing if everyone at LN would sign it. It seems as if Lie Nielsen will be having their 25th birthday at the same time my daughter is born. Now that would be a hand plane I would never use, but one nice collectable that for sure.

Deirdre Saoirse Moen
07-02-2006, 9:35 PM
Now that would be very, very cool. Their anniversary celebration's on the 8th, day before my birthday. :)

Bob Marino
07-03-2006, 7:50 AM
I used to have a LN #4 Bronze and ended up selling it because the bronze left dark "scuff" marks on the workpiece. Anyone else ever had that problem with a bronze plane?

Bb

Brent Smith
07-03-2006, 11:15 AM
I've read about this problem, but never encountered it. I've been using my LN #4 for several years with no problem. Is it possible that it's residue from a product you may have used to clean the bronze?

Brent

Travis Johnson
07-07-2006, 6:16 PM
A friend just sent me this video that the local TV news did on Lie Nielsen's 25th anniversary. Its quite informative.

Lie Nielsen Video (http://www.wlbz.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=38027)

Mark Rios
07-07-2006, 10:59 PM
Very cool video Travis, thanks.

Ian Smith
07-07-2006, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the link Travis. I reposted it on the Aussie woodwork forums so that others over here can take a look.

John Kempkes
07-10-2006, 10:05 PM
<tap> <tap> waiting for my USER to arrive. At least, it will be as much of a user as all my other smoothing planes :p

It would be great to get a bunch of the employees to sign the box it comes in, though. I might have to mention it.

Dave Anderson NH
07-11-2006, 6:39 AM
I checked out the video on Friday and it was interesting that the TV station gave a goodly amount of time to the piece. When I was up at the L-N 25th Anniversary on Saturday, I mentioned the TV piece to Tom L-N and he had not seen it. He snuck away for a couple of minutes to his office and viewed it. He was surprised and pleased. The anniversary edition bronze #4 1/2 smoother with rosewood handles, York pitch frog, and engraved lever cap is a beauty. I will admit I was very tempted, but since I've owned his #4 1/2 with both frogs for several years now I demured.