PDA

View Full Version : Disc Sander Question

Mike Kelly
06-29-2006, 1:17 PM
When replacing an adhesive backed sanding disc, what do you use to get the old adhesive off of the sanding wheel? Most of it seems to stick on the wheel after getting the disc hot with grinding wood or whatever on it. It has always been such a pain to change discs I just don't use it that often.

tod evans
06-29-2006, 1:24 PM
mike, i use mineral spirits or lacquer thinner which ever jug is closer at the time...02 tod

Bruce Page
06-29-2006, 2:35 PM
Mike, any solvent should work, I use acetone & rubber gloves.

Jeffrey Makiel
06-29-2006, 3:29 PM
If you like to use something a little less noxious and less flammable, try Goo Gone. It's available at Home Depot, Lowes, and most hardware stores in the paint section or household cleaner section. It comes in a small squirt bottle and has a citrus odor. It's also good for cleaning off glue left behind by labels and stickers without harm to the finish.
-Jeff :)

Larry Cooke
06-29-2006, 4:07 PM
Mike,

For adhesives, I prefer to use either electrical contact cleaner or brake cleaner. I spray it on my rag and just wipe, it really melts the adhesives. It is flammable and can ruin paint finishes as well as melt some plastics though, so I use it with caution.

If you want real easy removal, this is the stuff to use IMO.

Larry

glenn bradley
06-29-2006, 4:25 PM
Lighter fluid (naptha) works for me.

Mike Kelly
06-29-2006, 5:47 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. All I had this morning was alcohol and WD-40. I sprayed on some WD-40 because I had used it for removing stickers from windshields etc. As the adhesive was rather thick, I tried a razor blade and paper towel with the WD-40 without much success. I sprayed it again, left it to soak and came and asked you for help. When I went back an hour or so later the WD-40 had loosened it so well that I just scraped the goo off with a razor blade, sprayed on some more and wiped off with a paper towel and it was clean. Washed that with alcohol and another disc was ready. Thanks again for the ideas, as I will try some of them for sure.

Steve Clardy
06-29-2006, 7:12 PM
Lacquer thinner.

If you're having a lot of trouble all the time, you are pressing down to hard.
Let the paper do its work without excessive pressure.
Change paper a little sooner.